• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle spline count

St3mpy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I found a front 4.10 axle out of an '85 cherokee Cheif. Someone has already taken the axle shafts, brakes, ect. Can I slide in my axle shafts from my '95 3.08 axle? Thanks.

The shafts will work no problem. And if the breaks and everything have been taken the knuckles are the only problem, if it's from a standard tranny to standard tranny your fine along with auto to auto,. BUT they don't mix the knuckles are different as to how the breaks mount. If knuckles have been stripped there is no question just use yours, but if not it's 50/50 chance. Also if it has 4:10's it came out of a 4 cyclinder (most likely) witch probably had vacuum disconnect. If yours didn't have this you'll need it. If it didn't your good to go.

The breaks for the standard are actually bigger than the auto the steering knuckles are different . I tried to put auto breaks on standard knuckles and they just wouldn't line up. And the vacuum has different "accessories" than and axle w/o it. I wish I could be more help at this point but my XJ came with a 242 and there was no vacuum to be messed with. I put a 231 in it and still never had to mess with it. If you have it, it will just plug in, if you don't (which it is 99% that you won't being a 95) there is a bearing inside the vacuum actuated axle that will need to come out on the long side (passenger side) the 1 piece axle won't slide in, also you will need to get a seal inside the diff other wise you'll puke 90W everywhere. Not a big deal but some parts are needed. The housing is fine after the actuated mess is done with, if you don't do it I think you can "force" the axle locked rather than open, just not sure how. Sorry I had a brain fart about the long side it's a 2 piece axle(if it's vacuum). The short side is the same (axle shaft wise) my bad.

Back