• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not the same old tow hook question

Pogiboy

NAXJA Forum User
At least I dont think it is. I have searched for this question but with no results, so sorry in advance!
I am going to put tow hooks on my 93 xj, but which set up is better? Rusty's, C4x4, or any others. I know the price is right at the same for rusty's and c4x4, not worried about that, but I want the most bang for my buck!! Or maybe lack of bang is a better word, bang not so good when it comes to recovery........ Which will hold up better????

I have looked at the factory ones, they are ok. But seem to be made of a little bit weaker metal, that a problem? I really want the best in this case.

I don't think there weak. NOT light at all when you get them off.

acutally....for a factory part...they are pretty stout.

red91inWA said:
Factory for the front. Easy to get ahold of. And they do the job well.

ok i'll bite, whats a set of these factory tow hooks going to run a man, say brand new, rustys and C4x4 will run you 75 plus shipping...is the stealership going to beat that...?
Maier

ehh i had a thought mind if i tack it on yer thread "pogi"? you all know that flat black rear tow hook that comes on the back of some of the wranglers? anyone know if one of them would fit on the back of a xj onder the reciever hitch mounts...

Last edited:
Grifter144 said:
ok i'll bite, whats a set of these factory tow hooks going to run a man, say, from the factory, rustys and C4x4 will run you 75 plus shipping...is the stealership going to beat that...?
Maier

Why go to a dealer when a local wrecking yard should have them for maybe $20-25.00 ??? (if you can pull them your self, probably around $5.00 ea) You get the hooks from a local 4wd shop $6.00/ea...

into it $32-37.00....and have $38.00 plus shipping for BEER!

Margin of error +/- $10.00

i like the idea of stealin em off a wrecking yard, walked through our local yard last week looking for some and found nothing hence the reason i ask about a stealership price....
Maier

Grifter144 said:
i like the idea of stealin em off a wrecking yard, walked through our local yard last week looking for some and found nothing hence the reason i ask about a stealership price....
Maier

ironic that it happens to me, and I buy for a wrecking yard.

It'll will be weeks that I don't see certian things...then I'll see 3-4 things that are hard to come by.

Go FIGURE ??!

Go ahead and track what you want Grifter144, I dont care, it all for the common good! But to go back to my original question...... ehghm. What will work better? If either, Rusty's or C4x4?

Grifter144 said:
ok i'll bite, whats a set of these factory tow hooks going to run a man, say brand new, rustys and C4x4 will run you 75 plus shipping...is the stealership going to beat that...?
DaimlerChrysler discontinued the tow hook kit a loooong time ago, and before they discontinued it the cost was $150 to $200. There may be enough individual parts left in the system for a dealer to scrounge up a complete installation, but it'll be individual parts from all over the map and I would expect to pay over $300 trying to do that.

Rusty's and C4x4 are very similar, and sell for about the same price. Since one or the other is often out of stock, I'd buy from whoever can get it to you sooner.

It will fit on the factory XJ rear tow hook bracket for sure, the one that is L shaped and goes on the drivers side.

I can tell you the factory hooks suk! Had to get pulled up a hill one time and they are toast.The factory mounts are weak and will twist with a strap very easily.Buy whatever you like but the factory stuff is made for towing you down the road not really for offroad use.xjay1999

That's odd. I've been pulled out of mud stucks a few times and the factory hooks on mine are still straight.

While I don't think they came this way from the factory, I've seen a bunch (10-20) of XJs around Toledo with rear tow hooks attached to the bottoms of rear hitches--usually on the left (driver's) side. It might be something that a particular dealer in town did, but I don't know for sure.

i have a 1.25 inch stock receiver hitch under mine, its a "light duty" receiver hitch. I have been and pulled out a lot of people by that lil receiver with no ill affects even over loaded a trailer and tugged it from savannah, through the hills o tennessee with out any prob. yet i am under the impression that some of the local clubs want a shackle/d ring out back(only ones i've seen come in 2") during trail rides and so i am looking for other options..i realy want a swing out carrier on a beefy bumper but the cash just aint available at the moment..
Maier

edit:podi did you get an answer to your original question, rustys or C4x4 for those that wherent paying attn...

Kinda, but not really. I got one that said C4x4. Thats it. But I am going for whatever is in stock, the appear to be the same.

I have been doing some searching on Rusty's and I would say to go with his. They have done excellent for the people who have them and have had no troubles. Give them a try.

Kim.

Back