• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pogiboy

NAXJA Forum User
One of my friends own a 01 xj. Her brother works a ford dealership in the parts department and he is ordering tires for her. But he said the door says to get 215/75/r15, please help me convince him that 235s look way better and wont hurt anything!! Its a stock xj.

215/75/r15 is just whats on from stock. Those are what was on mine whenever i first got it and man did they look horrible. I had 235's put on and it looks much better. There is plenty of room in the wheel well to fit them. They only rub when im offroad, partly because of the saggy suspension and lack of bumpstop one the one side. I say go for the 235's, they'll look and perform alot better.

Does your friend take the XJ offroad? If not, tell your friend to save her money and gas mileage by buying the stock size tires. If she does go offroad then yes, 235 tires are a decent upgrade without a lift. Be aware that the speedo will be off and gas mileage will suffer a little.

Right after I posted this I found out that he had already ordered the 215s. Oh well, thanks for the help anyways, maybe next time!

just upgraded mine from 225 to 235 a couple of weeks ago. Speedo is slightly off but i'm about to fix that. MPG hasn't suffered at all (yet) and the handleing is soooooo much better. Plus they do look a whole lot better

My 93 cherokee sport had 225/75s and i put on 235/75s and my speedo is dead on and get 17 mpg to. I have been told that the computer will recalbrate its self 2 tire sizes under or over.

All this talk about gas mpg makes me wonder........ I have 30x 9.0 BFG mud terrains on mine with 2.5 inches of lift. I get right around 15 miles to the gallon in the city, maybe a little less. Is that normal???? I get MAYBE 18 on the highway. I also am about to replace the head, burning oil at idle, would that effect it? What are you guys getting??

On my ' 99 I had 30 x 9.5's before I went to 31's and with the 30's I was getting around 17 mpg (highway and city combined) and did see 21 mpg on the highway a few times. (with the 30's)

I am running 235's on my 92 right now and I have to keep the speed down or my XJ just eats the fuel. She sure is thirsty running at anything over 60mph. I can get just over 300 miles per tank of fuel by keeping my speed between 55-60.

Tom R. said:
Does your friend take the XJ offroad? If not, tell your friend to save her money and gas mileage by buying the stock size tires. If she does go offroad then yes, 235 tires are a decent upgrade without a lift. Be aware that the speedo will be off and gas mileage will suffer a little.

I keep really close track of my gas mileage and I cant tell any difference in my gas mileage going from the stock 225/70s POSs that came on my XJ to the 235/75s A/Ts that I have on it now. Either way I got 17-18 mpg in combined city and hwy driving and 20-21 mpg on the hwy.

My speedo is slighly off but not bad at all. I got clocked for speeding on the interstate recently and my speedo registered 75 mph and he got me at 79 mph. I can live with a small difference like that. I have zero rubbing offroad but my suspension hasnt sagged at all. :D

Edit: I have a '95 and I hear the 97+s have slightly smaller wheelwells.

Last edited:
I also forgot to mention i get roughly 15mpg (all city) on mine and it's completely stock. If i rev it too much around 3000 it really drops down so i try to keep it around the 2000-2300 mark. I have a tune up scheduled in the near future so hopefully that will help out some.

black93xj said:
My 93 cherokee sport had 225/75s and i put on 235/75s and my speedo is dead on and get 17 mpg to. I have been told that the computer will recalbrate its self 2 tire sizes under or over.

you have been told wrong...
the computer doesnt touch the speedo...

there is a gear, a speed sensor, a wire conecting the sensor to the gauge cluster...

on some models of cherokee - there is actualy a speedo cable (till 90 IIRC)

getting a different gear would re-calibrate the system

this is all correct unless:
you are running a JB Conversions super short shaft with an electronic speed sensor
You are using a Superlift Tru-Speed calibrator...

I have a freind that gets 14 mpg with his chevy 350. Stupid 4.0.........

GOT TO LOVE THEM THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!! I DO!!!!!!

MudslinginXJ said:
215/75/r15 is just whats on from stock. Those are what was on mine whenever i first got it and man did they look horrible. I had 235's put on and it looks much better. There is plenty of room in the wheel well to fit them. They only rub when im offroad, partly because of the saggy suspension and lack of bumpstop one the one side. I say go for the 235's, they'll look and perform alot better.

Most definitely go at least 235's. 245's are suppoed to be able to fit as well, but I'd suspect they'd rub a bit though. I've put 235's on mine since day one, and haven't had a problem at all.

Tom R. said:

hmmmm....I'm runing 235's and my speedo is dead on, as well as I get better mileage than the standard I'm supposed to get. I'm confused....

Back