• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shattered my nss switch. can i drive w/o it?

aduke

NAXJA Forum User
well i had all the syntoms of a dirty nss, so as i was starting to take it off today to clean it i read the jeepim.com article and used his method of prying it off using the nut. well the swtich wasnt gonna come off that way and the nut stared to strip those threads. i took my 2ft prybar and gently started prying the nss off. then it cracked in back and has a chunk missing. so can i just zip tye the nss in the engine compartment and keep it pluged in and drive my jeep until i can get a new nss? i know i wouln't have any back up lights. and i will be extreemly carful about starting it in park.

you don't need it at all, you can thro it in the garbage and jump it at the harness where it plugs in at the right side of the motor near the firewall. i don't remember which wires you have to jump but just do a trial and error until it fires up. be careful though because it will start in any gear and your reverse lights also won't work without the switch.

eric

aduke, if your interested in replacing your stock one. I have a couple NSS switches all cleaned and ready to go. If interested, post back here and I'll get back with you later. I dont know what year your's is, but these are for the late 80's. Thanks,

eric91xj said:
you don't need it at all, you can thro it in the garbage and jump it at the harness where it plugs in at the right side of the motor near the firewall. i don't remember which wires you have to jump but just do a trial and error until it fires up. be careful though because it will start in any gear and your reverse lights also won't work without the switch.

eric

correct me if i'm wrong here, but doesnt the NSS prevent the engine from starting in any other gear than Park or Neutral? In NC atleast, state inspection requires that it only start in Park or Neutral and no other gear. If i'm correct in my statement and mass. has similar rules this would causey ou to fail inspection would it not?

If you got kids, a good dog or want to keep the wife. Fix it right. If you got a cat or the ball and chain is getting on your nerves bypass it.

88 indy xj im very interested, can you send me a pm with a price?

and no i dont have a wife nor kids. im 16.

i just got my jeep inspected about a month ago. so i dont really care about passing inspection at this point. if i had to id run a switch to my back up lights if it was cheaper

Back