• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best All-Around Tire??????

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Arizona and much of my 4-wheeling is in rocky areas. From time to time I head down to Mexico and run the beaches. I also use my XJ for around town driving. I know tire opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one, but I would like to get some thoughts from Forum members on what tire is the best all-around for rock, sand and hihway.

depending on how "hard core" you are, id say its a toss up between a Goodyear MTR and a BFG Mud/T....just my .02

You are right about opinions on tires. Oviously the more agressive that you get with the tire, the worse the ride on the road is going to be, and the more likely that your tread is going to wear faster with everyday driving. The GY MTR and the BFG MTs are the best offroad (rock mud tires) out there IMO. I prefer the MTR over the BFGs but that is just me. You will find many people that swear by both of them.

If you are not doing a lot of extreme stuff and just looking for a fairly agressive tire that is tough and going to last a while. The BFG ATs are hard to beat. They also ride a lot better than mud terrain tires on the road.

Never had any actual experience, but from what Ive heard the TrXus M/T is hard to beat. But for rocks I think an MT/R is a good choice too.

FWIW-

I run 31 BFG A/T on my work truck, 68K....still going strong, snow, light mud, gravel, pavement, rain, sand.....hard tire to beat.

I run 33 BFG M/T on my heap....wear like iron, work fine for me...slop, mud, etc. No real experiance on rocks.

HTH

Rev

Goodyear MT/R, for your application.

Personal experience, the Perelli (sp?) Scorpion is a very good "all around tire". Works well in the rocks, snow and on the street. I actually liked them better then the BFG A/T's I've run.
Problem is, the largest they make is a 33". :cheers:

Last edited:
If you come to one of our hardcore runs here in CA, you'll find nearly all of the rigs (many times all) running MT/R's. They have great traction on the rocks, work well in sand, are very durable, and seem to be the best on the street of any mud tire.

I would agree with the BFG all terrains. Go with the KO edition of the tire they have a little more aggressive tread, have more outside lug, and are still great for wear on the road. In the mud they are ok, in the sand they have worked great when aired down on all vehicles I have seen them on, and the rocks they are good for mild to some moderate rock trails. I was running all four 31" BFG radial all terrains and two of them wore down to almost nothing so I picked up two 31" BFG radial mud terrains for $20.00 so I put them on the back and I have done good with this setup for only paying $60.00 for all six tires. If I had the money and did the wheeling you describe I would go with the BFG A/T KO's.

Kim.

BFG's My first second and last choice!!!
AT's for the street or off road with out mud,
MT's for off road, rocks and mud

GoodYear MT/R's are showing promice but will NOT WARE as long and are NOT A mudd tire.

Trexus, excellent traction off road and good on when new, but piss poor tread life!!!

Pirelli has made some great tires as well, I have had a set of AT scorpions and liked them for the street but AWEFUL off road!!!
IMHO,
CW

Back