• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Tail Lights

Roanoke XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever replaced there lights? I am in the process of replacing mine with home built "box" and flush mounted lights. I am at a lose on how to seal up the holes in the sheet metail behind the lights that the wires run through. Anyone have an idea?

TIA

What kind of lights are you putting in? LEDs?

I was thinking of doing something similar. Do you have any pics?

What did you make the "box" out of?

Thanks,
Brian

The are not LED's...couldn't bring myself to pay $50 for lights, so I just bought the round lights that are on utility trucks. Lights cost me around $25 (red turn/stop/tail), two side markers, and two reverse lights. The"box" is made out of diamond plate.

Very cool. I'd like to see pictures when you are done.

I think I have found some LEDs that aren't $50, but I will have to double check before I know for sure.

Check out this place... http://www.buytruckstuff.com/s_product_gp.asp?selcategory=22 ...for LED lights.
I built corner panel/light boxes out of 12ga steel for mine...
picture.JPG

Jes

Jes said:
Check out this place... http://www.buytruckstuff.com/s_product_gp.asp?selcategory=22 ...for LED lights.
picture.JPG

Jes

Thanks for the link, I have already looked there.

Looks awesome. Mine looks quite similar, except the diamond plate and I am using round lights. My reverse lights are completed and attached to my swing arm on my tire carrier.

Did you seal the holes that the stock wire feed through?

I was wrong above. The Tail/Stop/Turn Lights (red 4.5"), two side markers (red 2"), two reverse lights (white 4.5") and a 5'x5' sheet of 1/8" diamond plate cost me around $65.

The lights are plastic and cost $3 to replace if I ever break one.

Roanoke XJ said:

Did you seal the holes that the stock wire feed through?

No I didn't and frankly there really isn't any need to. You could silicone the top if your anal about it but looking at the seals on the stock plastic lamp boxes(or lack there of) I really don't think it's all that necessary.
No water gets in there on mine.

Jes

Jes said:
picture.JPG

Jes

my boxes look just like those, except I spent $135 on LED's and put two 2" lights in the side, one yellow and one red, I have no back up lights yet, until I get my KC's mounted on the rear with a switch.

quarter panel guards

Hey I saw that u did this mod with the led lights and everything, i was wondering if you had any drawings or measurements for how to build them. Ive measured a lot things out and just wanted to see if they differ from yours. Also any wiring info/advice for converting to led for the brake light, for the reverse light im going to put in some 55w driving lights. Not sure how im goin to wire that to the existing reverse light wires.

Paul

JEONLYEP said:
Something to look at. Although I'm not done. The light project came to a stand still when I broke the rear u-joint on the drive shaft and the front left u-joint on the axle Friday the 13th. Go figure.

Daryl
When are you going to get the covers on those? We have been very patient :sure:

Neil said:
When are you going to get the covers on those? We have been very patient :sure:
I have a early version of a cover on now. I'll try to get a picture on later today. I still have some tweaking to do to get the mold how I want it. Nice to know that some one is watching/waiting for the finished product. As I said before, I need to get the Jeep drivable again. then I'll get back to the lights.

Daryl

hey whered u get those reverse lights?

Paul

hey whered u get those reverse lights

Back