• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting rear bumper

Jeepkid8037

NAXJA Forum User
So i got a ticket for no rear bumper, so i decided to fab up a simple/strong rear bumper so i can get the ticket written off. My only problem right now is how to mount it, the bracket is easy and they will be connecting under the frame rail as well. But it seems like unless i space the bumper back about 3" i wont be able to get to the bolts to tighten them (the stock 8 mounting bolts) Can i just cut this off, the lower lip shown in this picture?? It seems liek if i cut this off i will be ablke to mount the bumper flush with the back of the jeep. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

http://www.xjdb.com/modules.php?set...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I just got done sleeving mine for access to the bolts,no pics yet!

RCP Phx said:
I just got done sleeving mine for access to the bolts,no pics yet!

What do u mean by sleeving? what is there back there to sleeve that would give you access to the bolts? I am really hoping to get the mounts done tonight so tommarrow morning i can weld up the bumper and be done.

My rear bumper is 3x4 rectangular steel tubing held off the back crossmember just enough to fit the bolts in and either a low profile ratchet or box end wrench. It still only sticks out as far as the stock bumper, but it doesn't hang down nearly as much. I've only got it tied into the 8 stock bolts right now though, I will be tying it into the framerails and my HiddenHitch when I get around to it.

looks good to me. O ya is that your front bumper in the trash can in pic#1

I have seen nhrocker bumper. Its nice and tight to the body lines. It looks good. Maybe he can post a pic so you can make one simlar. Or I think he sells them maybe he can make and ship one.

Bluexj96 said:
I have seen nhrocker bumper. Its nice and tight to the body lines. It looks good. Maybe he can post a pic so you can make one simlar. Or I think he sells them maybe he can make and ship one.

I already bought some 2"x5"x3/16" steel so there is no tunring back. Ill go out and just mount it as close as possible so i cant fit a combination wrench in there

6j2g5h.jpg

That's the only pic of the rear one that I have...But it's really simple. Actually, I am going to be selling them. The first time they'll be demoed as a business will be at the upcoming Jeep show in CT on the 16th. So are you going to buy the spare set I'll have there Bluexj96? :laugh3:

Geeze, just drill 8 holes and build a rectangular box of the appropriate thickness to get the standoff and bolt thru the bumper like custom4x4 does...

Jeepkid8037 said:
So i got a ticket for no rear bumper, so i decided to fab up a simple/strong rear bumper so i can get the ticket written off. My only problem right now is how to mount it, the bracket is easy and they will be connecting under the frame rail as well. But it seems like unless i space the bumper back about 3" i wont be able to get to the bolts to tighten them (the stock 8 mounting bolts) Can i just cut this off, the lower lip shown in this picture?? It seems liek if i cut this off i will be ablke to mount the bumper flush with the back of the jeep. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

http://www.xjdb.com/modules.php?set...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Yeah, I did end up just cutting the lip, but later regretted it. If it sticks out farther, it's easier to get to the bolts, and it protects your lights and hatch better.
Billy

jdogg4 said:
looks good to me. O ya is that your front bumper in the trash can in pic#1
Thats not his Jeep in that pic.

Look at the bumpers that are for sale and see how they are doing it. Then you can copy them, or make it better.

I would fight that ticket. It is perfectly legal for trucks and SUVs to not have a rear bumper. On most base model pickups the rear bumper is an option. Have you ever looked at the back of a RAV4, except for the spare tire it is completely flat. Bumper standards are federal law not state law, so unless the officer hit you with something like vehicle modified from it's original form, I would take it to court. Where did you get this ticket and exactly what is the charge?

Damn, it won't be hard to have mounting brackets that space the bumper out enough. Either two pieces of angle iron per mount, or a piece of boxed tubing with a plate welded on the end.....pretty simple.

Since you have the bumper off, I'd recommend strengthening that flimsy rear crossmember at least where the 8 bumper mounting holes are. When I removed my rear bumper after a number of years of hard wheeling there were cracks coming out from 7 of the 8 holes. I took a length of 3" or 4" wide steel (don't remember exactly, whatever fit inside the channel), put the eight holes in it, and pop riveted it to the cross member. I used 1/4" because I had a piece laying around, but 3/16" would work. There's a lot of flexing back there, so stiffening it up some to help minimize eventual cracking is a good thing.

Goatman said:
Damn, it won't be hard to have mounting brackets that space the bumper out enough. Either two pieces of angle iron per mount, or a piece of boxed tubing with a plate welded on the end.....pretty simple.

Since you have the bumper off, I'd recommend strengthening that flimsy rear crossmember at least where the 8 bumper mounting holes are. When I removed my rear bumper after a number of years of hard wheeling there were cracks coming out from 7 of the 8 holes. I took a length of 3" or 4" wide steel (don't remember exactly, whatever fit inside the channel), put the eight holes in it, and pop riveted it to the cross member. I used 1/4" because I had a piece laying around, but 3/16" would work. There's a lot of flexing back there, so stiffening it up some to help minimize eventual cracking is a good thing.

Yeah im not dumb. I already have 1/4" plate that i drilled and im using 2"x4" square tubing to space hte bumper out. I know how i was oging to make it, just didnt know how much i should spaee it out

Fiveology said:
I would fight that ticket. It is perfectly legal for trucks and SUVs to not have a rear bumper. On most base model pickups the rear bumper is an option. Have you ever looked at the back of a RAV4, except for the spare tire it is completely flat. Bumper standards are federal law not state law, so unless the officer hit you with something like vehicle modified from it's original form, I would take it to court. Where did you get this ticket and exactly what is the charge?

Well i got pulled over for not having any doors. So she said she was giving me a ticket for no mirrors, then when she came back she said she was also giving me a ticket for no rear bumper. It was in california. She was a total bitch about it too, telling me how unsafe it was and what was i thinking and everything.

JeepFreak21 said:
Yeah, I did end up just cutting the lip, but later regretted it. If it sticks out farther, it's easier to get to the bolts, and it protects your lights and hatch better.
Billy

Thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for.

I too cut the lip because I was in a rush and wasn't thinking it through. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend...........welding in some new stock to stiffen things back up. :doh: I can visually see a bow in the cross member now and its REAL obvious when I lay some straight steel up against it.

Fiveology said:
You're right; however, you apparently missed that he's is California, i.e. Land-of-the-Super-restrictive Laws. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc28071.htm

Back