• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding alternator bracket

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
I'm to the point in a 136 amp alternator swap where I'm trying to get the bottom hole to line up. I've heard that some people don't bother, they just use the top bolt and tighten it really well. Is that ok to do? If someone who had to grind their bracket could tell me, what part of the bracket actually needs to be ground? I can't see where it's hitting....

mark91xjbeef- Yeah, it was the center braces, both of them were hitting on mine.

Thayer- I wish I had seen that write up before! I ended up just grinding a little here and there till I figured out what was actually hitting. I had taken off the black bracket, but not the cast aluminum one that's mounted to the engine. If I had it would have been easy to see what was hitting. I took my Rotozip with a disc on it to the bracket with it still in place and managed to just barely make the new alt fit.

For the black steel one I took off some of the metal and then just used the bolts to make it fit the rest of the way. Hopefully having it touching the housing won't be an issue...

I did the clearancing with the cast bracket still in the truck. Harder to see what you are doing, but saved some time trying to get it off the motor. I have to say that installing a 136 is more work than it should be. Seems like a simple swap until you start unbolting parts..... and more parts.....

I did that to my alternator bracket. With the bracket on the work bench I used an angle grinder to remove the offending area. A little here and a little there until the I was able to install the bolts without binding.

Back