• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Owner Ignition Question

sgtpeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I bought a '97 XJ, 4.0L engine, 110K miles, 5-speed, 2wd a few weeks ago. When I got it, it was a screamin' demon. This thing would really move. I replaced the cap/rotor, wires, and plugs a couple of weeks ago. They were all original. The plugs were champions with electrodes down to nubs and huge gaps. I went to Advance and got the NGK FR5-1's, a set of Autolite Professional Series wires they had in stock, and GP Sorenson cap/rotor they had in stock. Now it doesn't seem to have the same pep. It runs great (it actually ran as well before) and it gets great gas mileage. Sometimes it seems like it takes a little longer to start when I hit the ignition, but it starts right up.

Right now, I'm wondering about the wires. Has anyone used these Autolites before? They are the same diameter as stock as far as I remember. I noticed when I put them on that they don't hold as tightly to the terminals, nor do they have a good click to them when I put them on, but they do hold. I've re-checked them many times. I carefully routed them, too. I figured I'd try putting the old wires back on this weekend to see if there's a difference.

I've also read on here where some people are intentionally gapping their plugs wide. I don't know what that's about, but due to the huge gap on those Champions, could that be something? The NGK's were pre-gapped to .035. I checked them all. I torqued them properly as well.

The cap and rotor look and feel just like the OEM.

One other difference I've thought about is the weather. It's hotter than hellfire now in NC, whereas it had been somewhat abnormally cool before. It could also be that I've just gotten used to driving it. It could also be that I'm nuts. I even had a dream last night that I was working on it trying to figure out the problem. I poked a screwdriver in something and the engine caught on fire. I tried blowing it out with my breath, but that wasn't working too well.

I appreciate any insight if anyone has any. Thanks in advance.

I'd say stay with Champion spark plugs. The only other spark plugs that I had were the Autolites, the cheap ones from Wally World. But I just put in Champion 4430 plugs and holy crapola the thing is a beast now. I have the autolite pro wires too and they are very good. Make sure you dont have any wires crossed. Other than that I can't give you any more advice.

Back