• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My xj eats front hubs

Jeep00xj

NAXJA Forum User
what is going on my xj has gone through like 4 sets of front hubs since Christmas after the factory went out on them I put some on from Auto Zone and they have a year warranty but I am only getting a little over a month on them before the start to snap crack and pop it don’t bother me to bad cause of the year warranty but what is wrong with my xj? It’s a 2000 xj sport auto 4.0 Also it has prolbems starting if it sets more than an hour and you go out and try and start it..it will never start on the first time but always on the second the only thing i can think of is that spark plugs are bad or bad injectors but i really have no clue

Hubs.. are you torquing the axle nut to 190 ftlbs? the hub bearings must have the correct preload to last.

no start... sounds like the fuel pump. There is a check ball in the fuel pump that is there to keep the fuel from draining back to the tank. the ball seat gets worn. then, fuel has to come all the way from the tank on startup, causing exactly the symptoms you describe.

I'll bet that Digger nailed the hub issue. It's pretty easy to NOT get enough torque on the axle nut. I chewed up 2 that way, but not as fast as you.

On your no start, to check the valve, turn the key on, but not to the start position. You should hear the fuel pump start up in the tank. Wait for it to go off, then try and start it.

?I did torque them down to 190 could it have anything to do with the fact that they are like the cheapest hubs you can get? I am thinking about going to the junk yard and getting the factory hubs that are on a 2000 xj with 13,000 miles on it would that be a better way to back to factory Should they be stronger?

i think it is AutoZone that has Timken bearing hub units.Timken is the best you can get.make sureit says Timken on the box and your good.

are you running after market rims ?how much offset on them if you are.

I set mine to what ever my impact goes to. Never had a problem. By the way, they aren't hubs, they are unit bearings.:)

Jeep00xj said:
How bad is it to change the fuel pump on an xj?

Pump is in the tank. With tank 1/2 empty or less drop tank, remove wires, remove fuel pump, put new one in with new fuel filter (sock type in tank), reconnect wires (be sure and do this well...don't ask), reseat tank being careful to not pinch wires (don't ask, don't hurry), start it up and check. Should probably change the outside fuel filter at the same time.

Sarge

You don't have to drop the tank. Just pound the retaining ring out and pull the sending unit. Replace the pump and tap the retaining ring and seal back into position. The only trick may be if the rubber boot on the return line stays in the tank. If this happens be VERY sure you get it back in the right spot, if your arm fits and you don't mind gas you can reach in the tank and pop it out. Put it back on the return line and you can feel it "slide" into place. If you miss the vibration can/may cause failure of the gas guage (reading accurate) and the pump. But thats a just a possiblity I missed a few times and didn't know until I ran out of gas when the guage read 1/2 tank.

Back