• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Line Sander

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
I just did a door on my XJ, pounded it out as good as I could, it was pretty rumpled. I used a random orbital sander to finish, after the body filler. A coat of sealer/sanding primer, base coat and then clear. Paint turned out well, one very small run, color was uniform.
I rushed the job a bit, I really should have done some more prep and put a light coat of gloss black on to check for low spots, but I was in a hurry (have tech and smog inspection soon).
I used to be pretty good at body work, but am a bit out of practice. I´m not real pleased with the results, it looks OK, unless you get it, in just the right light, then you can see some low spots and sanding scratches.
Would an line sander do a better job, of getting it flat?
If I decide I can´t stand it, can I just wet sand the clear and put down another coat of metalic and clear coat over the top? The base and clear I have on there now is shrinking a lot and some sratches are showing up that weren´t there last week.
If I sand through the clear and base in spots and end up with feathered patches, is the new base coat and clear gonna lift the edges? I`d sure hate to have to start all over again.

Last edited:
Scratches are simply the result of not taking enough time and using a sanding primer. Wavy panels can be helped with an inline sander if you know what you are doing, but no tool is the answer to knowing how to do it and taking the time to make it right. I use an inline on most panels where I can get it in there. I work my way down to 320 grit then come back with a DA with 400 grit, then primer and sand out with 400 at least twice.

jeep doors are pretty flat panels a line sander would probrably work well, the trick is how you use it but thats with any tool. its best to work your strokes down in very small increments in a diagonal type motion while moving down. as for your sand scratches all thats from is not using a fine enough grit on your final sand of your plastic work. and thats not something you can fix with primer, primer is not a filler even though some people tend to think it is. its probrably best to do your final sand in at least 320 grit if your gonna put a coat of sealer over it first if not its probrably best to do a final sand with 500 grit or so.

eric

Back