• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" 35 spline ARB

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Yes, this has already been asked. Though not directly, and that goes back three years depending on rather you search here or elsewhere. As much as Terry loves the resurection of the oldies:kissyou: , I'll try this selfishly direct approach.

I just hit a brick wall with the current rear axel project.I just found out that the ARB for the axles I've ordered have been held up by problems. This is the Ford 9"(True hi 9)NOT the 8.8" in a 9" type housing.

Here's what questions are rolling around in my head:

Has this locker been released and then put on hold?

What were/are the problems?

Anybody heard any RELIABLE information as to when they are expected to be available.

A selectable locker alternative @ 35 splines and available for the 9"?

I like, no love all the overkill I can fit in the budget and 35spline w/ locker and 4:86 on 33", maybe 35" max(yeah right) in the years to come seems really safe. Does the notion of just going w/ 31 splines seem a rational path? I'm kind of at that point where I can't change much beyond that.

Besides that, if I can't have everything done by Fall Fling, I'm gonna cry!

I MEAN IT!!!

Thanks,
:wave:
TIM

Last edited:
Have you called any STOCKING dealers? Try Shaffers Offroad, they may have one.

31 splines are good to go to 35's. That said, for the minute cost difference, I would never settle for 31 spline when I could have 35, or better yet, fody. :D

CRASH

Bent said:
Yes, this has already been asked. Though not directly, and that goes back three years depending on rather you search here or elsewhere. As much as Terry loves the resurection of the oldies:kissyou: , I'll try this selfishly direct approach.

I just hit a brick wall with the current rear axel project.I just found out that the ARB for the axles I've ordered have been held up by problems. This is the Ford 9"(True hi 9)NOT the 8.8" in a 9" type housing.

Here's what questions are rolling around in my head:

Has this locker been released and then put on hold?

What were/are the problems?

Anybody heard any RELIABLE information as to when they are expected to be available.

A selectable locker alternative @ 35 splines and available for the 9"?

I like, no love all the overkill I can fit in the budget and 35spline w/ locker and 4:86 on 33", maybe 35" max(yeah right) in the years to come seems really safe. Does the notion of just going w/ 31 splines seem a rational path? I'm kind of at that point where I can't change much beyond that.

Besides that, if I can't have everything done by Fall Fling, I'm gonna cry!

I mean!!!

Thanks,
:wave:
TIM

Why not just call ARB 888-427-2872. Ive aways had great luck with them and really good service.

jeepme said:
Why not just call ARB 888-427-2872. Ive aways had great luck with them and really good service.

:doh:

ARB has changed the designs on the 9" lockers. The routing of the airline seemed to have some early problems. I waited for a long time for the 35 spline, but ended up with the detroit. The only reason that I would want the ARB is to add a little of challenge with driving an open diff and only having a spool when I pushed the button.

I was a much better driver when I had open diffs and 31s. Now I suck.

SeanP

SeanP said:
ARB has changed the designs on the 9" lockers. The routing of the airline seemed to have some early problems. I waited for a long time for the 35 spline, but ended up with the detroit. The only reason that I would want the ARB is to add a little of challenge with driving an open diff and only having a spool when I pushed the button.

I was a much better driver when I had open diffs and 31s. Now I suck.

SeanP

Sean,

Your past hunt and I are familiar. ;) Searching here and Pirate and...Well, you put a lot of effort in to it. As far as the ability to wheel open for the challenge, I'm right with you on that. I live about an hour from several nice wheeling spots; I can run most all of the closest trails as I sit open/open on 31s. I think I'd be wasting money and missing the whole point of the hobby/obsession if I had to run them locked.

Here’s what I have found out:

After speaking with ARB, the 35 spline is not currently being manufactured. They were being produced up until recently but they are out of that stock. According to the rep the fact that there was no press release issued when production ceased, it can safely be deduced that the cause is a problem on the assembly line; i.e. equipment, hardware, labor, etc. There is no indication as to when production may resume.

While calling around to various retailers, including Shaffer’s I found that none of those that I spoke with were aware of the ARB warehouse being out of stock. For that matter that production had been halted. :dunno: I called 4WEST here in Colton, who didn’t have one either but tracked one down from a warehouse in NoCal. He’ll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week.

All told, it’s nice to get a pleasant reminder as to why it is so important to support our local shops and our sponsors. Especially those that are willing to make sure we come back.

Cool, dodged another bullet and another wall in the rear view mirror!!

:D

Happy TIM!

31 spline would be fine...I ran them with 38.5 SXs and a very LARGE left foot. I broke them a few weeks ago on a steep ledge at about 6 grand. I have since put chromo 35 spline stuff in it and a spool, but really only upgraded them after deciding to go to 39" krawlers and competing in it and I won't be carring spare shafts.

Tim,

How big are you going? 35s?

-Cracker

cracker said:
Tim,

How big are you going? 35s?

-Cracker

At this moment it is not my intention. :gag: I have a fifth amendment right ....

:looney:
TIM

CRASH said:
Have you called any STOCKING dealers? Try Shaffers Offroad, they may have one.

31 splines are good to go to 35's. That said, for the minute cost difference, I would never settle for 31 spline when I could have 35, or better yet, fody. :D

CRASH

p/n: RD 99. Thirty five spline, Woo Hooo, Got it!!! Let the bleeding of the wallet continue.

ps. wallet cant count to 40. :D

TIM

Bent said:
p/n: RD 99. Thirty five spline, Woo Hooo, Got it!!! Let the bleeding of the wallet continue.

ps. wallet cant count to 40. :D

TIM

hey did they have any more? I need 2 for a customer's rig a 2001 xj I start building on next week

Back