• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric window switches: 3 not working

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 with power windows and the only way to controll them is from the driver's side. its kind of funny because if the passenger doesn't know about the problem, they will usually try to get the switch to work, and then try the lock switch and when the locks go off i roll their window down and explain. it's been a good conversation starter, but its gotta change now that i'm doorless up front and have no way to change the rear windows when i take the doors off. so it is just the 3 other switches that don't work, drivers controlls work fine and all lock switches work fine. is there a fuse that i'm overlooking that could be blown? a possible short? anyone know if the power runs through the switches in series or something so if one switch is bad the others won't work? any insight would be great...thanks

JEONLYEP said:
So only the drivers door works? It doesn't have a lock out to keep the other doors from being able to be worked? (I.E. for kids, pets) I know it sounds simple, but that's always what I check first, the simple stuff.

Daryl

yeah i've flicked that switch on and off and it doesnt change anything...it could be that switch that's bad but its not like i ever use it so it's not worn out but coudl be a connection i guess

muddygp said:
yeah i've flicked that switch on and off and it doesnt change anything...it could be that switch that's bad but its not like i ever use it so it's not worn out but coudl be a connection i guess
It sounds like it's the lockout switch that is the problem. The motors all work. (all windows move with drivers switch?) It's unlikely that three switches went out. They aren't used as much as the drivers door switches.

My moneys on the lock out switch being the cause.

Daryl

yeah all motors work its just you can't operate them from that seat. i dont think it could be 3 bad switches either, thats why i asked if anyone knows if the power rusn through them like a strand of christmas lights and if one goes out the others do too you know? i'll see if there's a way to maybe disconnect that switch or something, maybe that'l fix it? i never use it so i'd be cool with doing away with it...

I have the exact same problem on both of my jeeps a 96 and 98. I still havent found the problem on the 96, even switched out the control panel on the door! Must be something in the circuit. However, on my 98 if I push the window lock button over and over it will eventually start working again, so I believe I need to get a new switch or switch panel.

I thought all jeeps were like this, (cause both of mine do it) glad to know i'm not the only one. I hope you find the problem sorry i couldnt help, hopefully someone will chime in cause it sure gets annoying!!

More than likely the problem is in the drivers door control unit. The wires from the non drivers doors window switch's "signal" the control unit in the drivers door to supply the "power" to the wires that go to the individual window motors from the control unit. The "ground" for the "circuit" path is supplied in the drivers door control unit. The control unit switch's which wire the power and ground is applied to according to the direction (window up, window down) is needed. Basically it is the drivers door control unit that actually raises and lowers the windows, the other window switches in the passenger and back seat doors "ask" the drivers door to do it for them. Hope you understand what I am saying here.

thanks mtntech that is really helpful to know, and yeah i understood what you were saying. the only thing i'm confused about is...even if those switches work with all 4 doors on, will they work then with the front two disconnected? maybe i'll pick up two switch modules when i get a new one so i can plug that one in when i have my doors off? That way even if that isn't my problem, i can still change those windows when i'm doorless. thanks again

I have a very similar problem on my 98. The windows can always be operated from the driver side panel while the other three are on again off again. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't and, as far as I can see, there is no reason why. I just rack it up to a ghost in the machine or simply gremlins. Either way its a pain in the bum but at least they do work some of the time!! I've never really gotten around to looking into as I am not very electrically inclined, so to speak.

Sean

ive got it on my 98. at first i could toggle the switch a few times and the windows would work. after a while that stopped helping and they only workd in winter. i dont think they work in winter that ofter anymore. i think ive heard something like running individual power wires to each door would fix it.

OK Check this. If you pull the carpet on the front drivers side, your gonna to find a wire that I beleive splices into a Y. The Y is your problem. Check it for a break. Also, my 94 was holding some moisture there, which didn't help. good luck

I need to look at the actual circuit but there is a good possibility that
they will not work without the driver side switches.

The ones I have worked on receive power from the driver’s side switch when it’s in the center position.

When the driver pushes the down button for the passenger side, it disconnects the passenger side switch, if it didn’t and the passenger pushed the up button it would cause a short.

97 Country: My windows are the same, most of the time only control is from the drivers side. On mine the problem is the child lockout button. If my wife holds her button down while I press the child lock button in and out like a madman hers finally starts working. So....I guess I've got a bad connection in the child thingy switch. I'd try that first.

jlex said:
Can't read your download, Calata... can't you copy and paste your solution to this site? I have the same problem with my '98. Thanks.
jlex.

Here's what I got from the link.

Calata said:
For 1997+ Jeep Cherokees Power Windows.

All that's involved is connecting 2 wires together at the driver's door. How you connect them together is up to you. You don't even need to cut them off the connector. You could just remove some insulation and solder in a jumper wire. You have to connect pin 8 of the smaller connector to pin 9 of the larger connector. DO NOT CUT the wire on pin 9.

THIS WILL NO LONGER ALLOW YOU TO LOCK PASSENGER WINDOW SWITCHES FROM WORKING, but if that's your problem in the first place, we'll call this a fix.

clip_image002.jpg

clip_image002a.jpg

Daryl

Back