• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 speed sensor?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
Does it have one? I have never seen a reference to one in all of my message board/forum lurking, nor do I see a trouble code for one. The FSM says there is one, but where?

The reason I am asking is because my 98 4.0 ZJ with the RE42 had a speed sensor that pulled a code. I replaced it and that fixed it. My 92 4.0 XJ with the AW4 is exhibiting the same symptom - a delayed shift from 1-2. It throws a 24 code for the TPS, which I have replaced 3 times without effect.

IIRC...it should be mounted in the transfer case housing. You'll see it. Left side, high, with a electrical end in it. If you don't know what it looks like, it would seem outta place.

On 4WDs its on the transfer case like red91inWA said, on 2WDs its on the driver's side of the transmission towards the middle if I remember correctly.

kevin s said:
My 92 4.0 XJ with the AW4 is exhibiting the same symptom - a delayed shift from 1-2. It throws a 24 code for the TPS, which I have replaced 3 times without effect.

This is merely an educated guess, but if its throwing a code for the TPS its not getting the correct signal from it so I would check the wiring going to it and make sure its not burnt or kinked or anything.

Atl XJ said:
This is merely an educated guess, but if its throwing a code for the TPS its not getting the correct signal from it so I would check the wiring going to it and make sure its not burnt or kinked or anything.

Thanks. I have traced it back as best I can, which is not to say that I have done that properly. I cleaned up everything including the main harness connector and even re-did the ground from the sensor. I am wondering if a '97 block with a '92 computer & sensors has anything to do with it. The PO burned up the original motor (college girl; oil: what's that?). As far as I can tell, they just grafted all the goodies onto the new block.

Can anybody tell me where is the speed sensor is in relation to the speedo gear? I know where that is. Changed it when I changed tire size.

Hmmm. So the speed sensor IS the speedo gear. Guess that's not my problem. Back to the TPS. The speed sensor on the ZJ is not a gear. It screws into the transmission, not the transfer case. And oh yeah, hot transmission fluid streaming down your arm is not a good thing.

no the speed sensor is not the gear. The gear should be removable from the sensor it's self. While it is a 2 piece unit it acts as one piece. The rotation of the teeth in the gear make the sensor electrical end move the speedometer.

You'll know when the speed sensor goes bad.
Here I am driving at 55mph. btw, mine never did trigger the check engine light.

dsc01818.jpg

Aha. That's beginning to make a little more sense. Thanks for bearing with me. Does the speed sensor do anything besides talk to the speedometer? Does it connect directly to the speedo, or does it route through the ECU?

Back