• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

issues with gas

thedarkprince

NAXJA Forum User
I can always smell gas around the back end of my jeep, I dont know if this is fromt the exhaust or the fuel tank. I have been getting bad (for my jeep) gas milage lately, and thats after moving up to 235's from 225's and putting on a very large K&N. I dont know if these are all related, but sometimes I smell a little gas from the front of the jeep too. I did a full tune replacing wires and plugs and swapping out for a syn blend oil, and no milage increase. Also the other day while driving on the interstate up a long hill at 80 wth the AC on the tranny fluid decided to spurt out from the dipstick, though it has run fine since then. anyone got any ideas? oh yeah, its a 99 sport automatic 4.0 with <90k

How bad is this gas milage, numbers? I've got a '97 4.0L Auto; I'm running Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 235/75/r15s, K&N cone intake, and a Dynomax catback. Even with the slight extra resistance of the 2.5" of lift I have I'm still getting 15-16 city and about 17-18 on the highway, however I have a pretty bad leadfoot.

Have you done a tune-up lately? I gained almost a mile to the gallon when I did a complete tune-up just after I first bought the Jeep used in '04.

My 98XJ with 4.0, 5speed, 3:07's and BFG 235 AT/KO's gets 19-22 around and gets 23 when I take it on the interstate on runs down to NJ. I don't use 5th until I get above 75mph or my milage takes a bad nose dive. It is used almost exclusively as my work vehicle, picking up and delivering systems, carrying cases of cable and ladders up top on the safari rack and alot of hand tools in the back for running cable and such.
I do a couple of things consistantly, yearly tune ups of plugs, cap, rotor and wires and I run a big bottle of Chevron Techron thru about every 7,000mi. Last weekend I borrowed my neighbors 3M kit and picked up a can of the injector cleaner that hooks to the 3M kit, that takes about 20 min and involves disconnecting the fuel line and pulling the fuel pump fuse while it runs the cleaner/fuel tube thru. I do that every year.

Crawl underneath and look at the fuel lines...do any look wet? Look closely at the rubber ones around your fuel filter. Try starting it up (E-Brake on and wheels blocked)...look again and give them a bend with your hand. If they are leaking you will see it get wet.

Next, check the filler neck. Does the smell get stonger right after you have filled up?

On the front end...you have flexible hoses that go to your fuel rail. There is a little seal kit the seals the connection. If that has been unplugged recently, you may have damaged one of the O-rings.

As for the tranny....if it pushes out tranny fluid going up hill at 80 MPH with the AC on....then don't drive up hill at 80 with the AC on.

Back