• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper CA axle bushing replacement

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well it time to replace my upper control arm bushings on the axle(stock d 30) what is the best way to get the old ones out and new ones in. I was thinking gear puller but not to sure about that. Any suggestions would be GREATLY apreciated.

Thanks

The best way I have found to do this on a limited tool supply is to: First drill holes all the way around the rubber using the largest bit size that will go between the center bolt sleeve and the outer sleeve. Then knock out the rubber and the center sleeve. This basically leaves you with the outer sleeve to deal with. Use a cold chisle and hammer for this. Beat in the flanged side of the sleeve twards where the center sleeve was. Go all the way aroud the flang until sleeve comes loose. The new bushing can be tapped back in a hammer an a socket or peice of tubing that matches the size of the flange. I like to use anti sieze when reinstalling, it can help with future repacement.

I custom built a long arm crossmember with tranny mount utilizing RE TJ long arms. Lots of measuring cutting grinding. Welded angle to the unibody for reinforcment. Big project. But the hardest part was replacing those damn bushings. I tried just about every puller tool out there but there is no way to get on the lip of the bushing. I ended up drilling out some of the rubber then taking a sawsall and cutting from the inside at 6 oclock and 12 oclock positions, there by cutting the bushing shell into two hemispheres. Be very careful not to cut into the cast (very much). Use a punch and BFH to get the carnage out of the axle. I used replacement bushings from RE. Prior to installation I used an angle grinder to turn down the raised shoulder of the new bushing which allowed it to be pressed in (via BFH) to the axle.

I have yet to hear of an easier way to do this task, but maybe a jeep tech will chime in here

good luck

SeanP

I put an RE rubber bushing in my pass side no problem last fall, but destroyed 2 RE bushings trying to pound them in to the driver side. We even heated that hole on the pumpkin verrrry hot, and it still wouldn't pound in. So that same old bushing is still clunking around in there, and I just got a bushing for napa (4.50) and am hoping it will go in. It seems that expanded portion of the RE bushing wouldn't go into the pumpkin hole.

We'll see how it goes this weekend. I have adj Tera uca and lcas.

CB

I used my Harbor Freight ball-joint press. IT worked about as good as I'd expect anything too. I've gotten my $40 out of it already and it's still holding together {for how long, I don't know}

I also tried about everything in the world till someone told me about a tool at harbor freight (dont know the name) but its around $30 and has a large Cclamp and 3 large cirlce deals. It took a total of 30 minutes from start to finish to replace both sides. Its a removal/install type tool.

giranger said:
I also tried about everything in the world till someone told me about a tool at harbor freight (dont know the name) but its around $30 and has a large Cclamp and 3 large cirlce deals. It took a total of 30 minutes from start to finish to replace both sides. Its a removal/install type tool.

That's the cool ball joint press.......I was impressed how well it worked (not often you can say that about something from HF)

I too had the same problems..followed by many loud swear words BUT ! if you've got an air comp. OR have access to one an air hammer will rattle/beat the bushing out. I just got a cheapy one for like $20. It's the tool with 3 bits (usually) and a spring on the muzzle. Just afew mins. & the Dr. side was out & the pass. side only took one good hit. I also put the new bushings in the freezer the night before to help with the install. I would think the ball joint press would work pretty well.
Good Luck !!!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

I've done this project a few times with my air chisel and a long bit to remove the bushing and a bushing installer (just a fancy socket looking thing) and BFH to install the new ones. This is a very time consuming and frustrating process. So when a friend told me how he did it, I was amazed by how simple it was. He used a 4 foot section of steel pipe with a cap on one end for the BFH and various pipe fittings on the other end that either drove the bushing out or pushed the new one in place. Just bring the new bushing to the plumbing store to get the right size adapters to drive it out and back in. The long pipe length was was needed to reach across the axle to the opposite side bushing, and to be able to clear the coil spring and sway bar links. He had his wife hold the pipe in postion while he used the BFH. Hope this helps at least a little. If all else fails, keep taking things apart untill you can access the bushings easily and just don't give up.

Bryan

Hey thanks for all the great Ideas. I do have an ira chisel but I think i will try finding the Harbor Freight tool and see how that go's.

wish me luck!!!!!

You don't mention if your control arms are stock or not. Assuming that they are, you can get replacements from quadratec for about $13 each. Not sure if they come with bushings or not, but the pictures on their site seem to indicate that they do. Even if they don't, it would seem a whole lot easier to purchase the control arms and bushing separately, without the hassle of trying to remove the bushings from the old control arms. Hit the link below, click on the "hard parts" section, page 4.

Ivan

www.quadratec.com

Hey Sequoia...

With the air hammer/chizel it only took me..... 10 mins. to knock
out both upper in the axle.. thats hammer time not arm removal...
6 or 7 mins. on the Dr. side & 2 on the Pass. side. So if a compressor is available ..... PLUS ! the way things are so lubed up under you XJ they should slip right out...LOL!
Good Luck !!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Well, my only concern is that I don't have an air hammer and can't afford to buy one (I'm seriously broke right now)...So I'm thinking of getting creative with lube, BFH, impact gun (it kinda punches in a little..hehe), and fire...we'll see! Plus I do have the permi-lubed undercarriage, so that's cool.

Sequoia

I spent a few hours last night trying to install a new Napa and RE UCA bushing just last night... It won't even get started in the hole, and the edges start bending..!!! Somethings just not right.

This is the mount on the pumpkin. Does that tool from Harbor Freight install them as well?

Also, what my bolts that go through the center of these bushings fit pretty loose. Shouldn't it be a snug fit? If so I need new bolts. What type should I use? (hardness etc.)

CB

CameronB said:
I spent a few hours last night trying to install a new Napa and RE UCA bushing just last night... It won't even get started in the hole, and the edges start bending..!!! Somethings just not right.

This is the mount on the pumpkin. Does that tool from Harbor Freight install them as well?

Also, what my bolts that go through the center of these bushings fit pretty loose. Shouldn't it be a snug fit? If so I need new bolts. What type should I use? (hardness etc.)

CB

?????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

The only thing I can think of is the sheetmetal 'sleeve' must still be in the housing? Mine 'fit', but needed the HF install tool to pursuede them into the mount. (that or I envisioned a 12 lb. hammer would be cool, but I couldn't envision ANYONE that would want to hold the bushing)

Cameron You might try the freezer for afew hours to "constrict" the bushing down alittle. I don't know the tech. terminology for it.
Is the bolt loose all the way through...I think the bushings have raised points inside the inner sleeve.....I think. I can't remember the size... I just went to the hardware store & got the same size in a standard thread. (no metric) You might if you haven't already check for burrs on the axle mount clean it up alittle... Use some anti seize maybe...Sorry I can't be of more help...

Sequoia... looks like a drill & chizels & FIRE !.... becarefull you don't catch the "permi-lube" on fire.....
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Check for sharp edges on the bushing hole in the axle. Use a round file and sandcloth to remove the shap edges.. a Dremel tool will work too..same princlple applies to installing u-joints too.

No sharp edges, and the whole bushing (old one) has been out several times, only to go back in after new ones refuse to be pounded in with my 4lb hammer. I've tried anti sieze too.

There are little knobs inside the inner sleeve that I believe should be in contact with the bolt. These are very worn down. I'll check the hardware store I guess, and get that HF tool.

What a PITA

Hey CB
Not try'n to second guess you but you didn't get the bigger bushing by accident ? I believe there are two sizes.. Is it rubber or poly. ? Like I said not try'n to doubt you but I've had my fair share of goof ball parts guys...
Good Luck !!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back