• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 speed tranny

surfmon

NAXJA Forum User
What was the last year of the 4.0l mated with a 5 speed?

And how much of a pain in the ass is a tranny swap with a 99 XJ?

Thinking of going back to a clutch.

thanks
T

All the 'stuff' is already there for hanging the clutch pedal but you need to replace the brake pedal. Unless you are doing it for fun I would not bother, the AW4 is a good auto tranny. Best bet would be to find a donor vehicle and park next to it. I dont know if there are ECU issues or not. I think Ketjar did it when he rolled is his 98 5speed and moved everything over to a 97 which was an auto.

surfmon said:
Well, it would be for fun.

I just miss having a 5 speed XJ and it seems they are geting rarer by the day.
Swap takes about a day. You need a break+clutch pedals and bracket, you need a clutch line and cylinders (on newer ones it's one piece), you need the bellhousing (matching the clutch lines) and tranny, and you probably also will need a different pcm as the current one will complain about no signal from the aw4. You will also need to press a pilot beraing into the engine and that's about it. Lastly the tcase linkage and bracketry for linkage is slightly different, so I'd say grab all of it from the donor vehicle.
The process is easy but you need that reverse torx bit for the top two bolts and it's good to have a tranny jack to make the install easier.
edit: what year is your jeep? cause the pcm issue might be non existant depending on your year.

I miss having the 5 speed as well since it was so fine to drive, even on the trail when you got used to it. However, I don't miss it at all when I'm driving through Denver with a cup of coffee in hand.

I think they changed the 00 and 01 to a NV tranny from the AX. I think if I was gonna do it 'just for fun' and had the bucks I'd find an 03 or 04 TJ and grab the 6 speed vs the 5 speed, they have one hell of a first gear on them puppies... and in 4lo it's a true stump puller or about anything else you want to move..

surfmon said:
mine's a 99'

the problem I would run into is finding the donor vehicle.
Did they use the 5 speed all the way until 01'??

thanks
T
Rich has a good suggestion about the 6speed box, but any (from TJ or XJ) ax15 with the 23 spline outpus shaft would work for you. Then let me know and I'll set you up with someone that can get a pcm for you that would work (actually my 98 might work, I'd have to verify part numbers in the catalog though)

Another suggestion would be to make sure you get a clutch setup with an external slave cylinder. I know that 94s got the external, I think they started in 93.

surfmon said:
so the boot will fit in the same slot as the auto shifter?

even if the donor car is pre 97'?
ok, I'm not 100% sure about donor being pre 97 and boot fitment, but that's the easiest thing to take care of at the very end :D

red91inWA said:
you WILL need a ECU...Remi forgot about that I think. I sold him HIS.
I said depending on the year :D IIRC the earlier ones might not need it, but seeing that his is 99 he will need it and unfortunately my 98 one will not work for him so you might have yet another customer ;)

Kejtar said:
I said depending on the year :D IIRC the earlier ones might not need it, but seeing that his is 99 he will need it and unfortunately my 98 one will not work for him so you might have yet another customer ;)

you'll need it. info tells me that even my 91 would need it if I go auto. Even 87-90 is different (MT/AT)

If he needs one tell him I can get it. oh wait...I just did.

Back