• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Shifter

seand

NAXJA Forum User
98 Classic with Selec-Trac.

A number of months back I did some adjusting on my TC case linkage as the vehicle was not coming out of PT4WD. I adjusted the linkage so that it does indeed come out of 4WD but the dash lights do not always show this. The vehicle will actually be in 2WD but on the dash it will still be showing as being in PT4WD. Most times I can get the light to go off but moving the shifter up and down through the different selections.

My question is from where does the dash light take its reading from - within the T-Case or from the position of the shifter? Can anyone shed any light on this problem? While it may seem foolish to worry about a dash light that is wrong, it is disconcerting to see the PT4WD light on when driving on pavement!!!

Thanks,

Sean

How did you adjust it?

First shift transfer case into 4L position. Raise vehicle. Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion. Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion. Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary. Verify that transfer case range lever is fully
engaged in 4L position. Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt. Lower vehicle.

Yep, that's how I did it! But I had to twiddle with a bit to get it to work perfectly. I am not sure but it seems like they might be a bit more play in the linkage than there should be. But after adjusting it through trial and error, it shifts quite smoothly - no problems except for the indicator on the dash.

Sean

IH8RDS said:
Dont quote me but I think it is on the left side of the transmission and black.
I know you wrote not to quote you, but you're right. The connector is toward the top on the left. I'm having this same problem and at first I thought it was the vacuum switch, but I think the linkage and connector just need cleaned really well.

So, I'm under the vehicle looking up at the linkage (not really, I'm actually here in my office). In relation to the linkage, where would the connector be located? Are you referring to an electrical type connector? And you say "transmission" but do you mean "transfer case" or am I really confused?

Timber, when you say you are having the same problem do you mean with the selector light or with the shifting out of 4WD?

Sean

Last edited:
seand said:
Timber, when you say you are having the same problem do you mean with the selector light or with the shifting out of 4WD?
Both. It seems to happen whenever I go somewhere really dusty/sandy. I went out Sunday for a few hours and had some problems with it. I couldn't get under there yesterday to fiddle (although I did check the vacuum junction behind the glovebox--it was fine). Today it poured for about half an hour, so when I left for work I drove down some streets that are known to flood. Problem solved for me for now. As soon as the linkage or connector get mud covered or super dirty it'll happen again.

BTW, the reason I thought of a vacuum leak was that at the same time that the 4x4 light started acting up, my blower was taking about a minute to a minute and a half to switch vent locations, which to me means to start checking vacuum lines.

The dash light gets its signal from a sensor on the t-case.
In this pic of a 99 XJ 242, you can see where the wire harness connects to the sensor at the top of the t-case. (not to be confused with the speed sensor on the tailcone).

dsc04295.jpg

Thanks, JeepZZ, for the pic. That'll help me--'99/242. But what about the connector on the top left of the tranny and the linkage? Could they be partly responsible for these problems?

i have a 1990 with a np242, i was wondering if (in 1990) the 242 case used vacuum to shift. i also have problems with my indicator lights, but my transfer case shifts perfectly (as long as the tires are inflated properly, if not it acts goofy)
-tim

Both the 242 and the 231 DO NOT use vacuum to shift. They are connected to the shift handle by linkage. Earlier 231's (87-90 & some 91) used a vacuum disconnect on the front axle but never on the t-case.
Several things can cause your t-case to shift in and out. Misadjustment of the linkage, worn or bent linkage, worn parts inside the t-case. I'm going to guess that yours is caused by bad motor mounts or trans (t-case) mount by what you've described as an intermittant problem. A worn mount can cause the engine/trans/t-case to move around quite a bit while the linkage is held in a fixed location by the handle. This movement can be just enough do partially disengage the t-case.
An easy way to tell if this is the problem is get the t-case locked in the gear you want, crawl under the Jeep and disconnect the linkage. The t-case should stay locked in the gear you selected if this was the problem. If it keep jumping in and out, in may be an internal problem.

IH8RDS said:
How did you adjust it?

First shift transfer case into 4L position. Raise vehicle. Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion. Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion. Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary. Verify that transfer case range lever is fully
engaged in 4L position. Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt. Lower vehicle.
Found this using search. I take it this is the correct way to adjust the TC linkage?

I cannot get into PT4Low. Lever goes there easy but stays in a neutral function. PT4High and FT4High work great on a 242. Have tried all angles of shifting finess and no luck.

If the 4high positions are working readjusting the linkage to try to get 4low working should not affect the high's correct?

Thanks all,
Ken

Back