• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any special tools required for O2 sensors?

They do make an O2 sensor socket which is basically a 7/8" deep well socket with a cut up one wall for the wire to go through. It is about $10 at most auto stores, but you can use an wrench just as well.

Yes and no.

1. There is a deep well socket with a slit up the side that slides over the wire. Buy or Rent one for free at Autozoo, if you have those in your area.

2. You can probably get an open end wrench on it. Worked for me on my '92. Rented the socket and didn't need it.

3. Just cut the wires off and use a regular deep well socket. Of course, you will need to be able to get an open end wrench on it to tighten.

It comes from the factory with mild thread lock. Remove when hot. It'll help a little. The new one will probably have thread lock already applied, ready to go.

I actually went out and bought one of those O2 sensor sockets. When I tried to use it on my '87 Comanche, the O2 sensor was so close to the frame that the socket with a breaker bar attached wouldn't fit. I just used a large metric Crescent wrench.

Eagle said:
I just used a large metric Crescent wrench.

Same here but I don't know if it was metric or SAE. 4.0 XJ 02 just isn't in a bad position to warrant needing anything more specific.

How are a standard and metric crescent wrench different,we're talking open end adjustable wrench right? I figured that they are adjustable would make metric v standard not matter?

cmotsvt said:
How are a standard and metric crescent wrench different,we're talking open end adjustable wrench right? I figured that they are adjustable would make metric v standard not matter?

they are like pipe stretchers. When you have to have them....they're PRICELESS !

;) ;)

kevin s said:
Yes and no.
The new one will probably have thread lock already applied, ready to go.

Actually, I don't think that's "thread lock." Quite the opposite, I think that's anti-seize. Maybe I'm mistaken . . . .

Oh, yes . . . 3 XJ's . . . several 02 sensor changes and never had a socket . . . open or box end wrench works fine. Don

Don Becker said:
Actually, I don't think that's "thread lock." Quite the opposite, I think that's anti-seize. Maybe I'm mistaken . . . .

You're correct, it's moly anti-seize and common for exhaust sensors and other components. Quite the opposite indeed.

I've been looking for a metric crescent wrench for awhile; there's a space in my toolchest next to the left-handed ratchet for it...

cmotsvt said:
OWNED! :laugh3:

Thou art most perceptive, Grasshopper.

Yucca-Man said:
I've been looking for a metric crescent wrench for awhile; there's a space in my toolchest next to the left-handed ratchet for it...

being left handed....I'll trade you my Metric Cresent wrench for your left handed ratchet !!

But it has to be 1/2 inch !

I'm hard up for either, and I've got a bottle of headlight fluid just burning a hole in my pocket. Whose first?

Back