• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why does it sit crooked

DPC

NAXJA Forum User
ok.....It is a 1990 XJ with RE 4.5"ZJ coils in front(5.5"), 3.5" RE leafs and 2" shackles in rear, RE ajustable track bar and Rockkrawler adj control arms. I had 3" coils w/spacers and I thought one was just going bad because they were rough country. I put the new RE ZJ coils in tonight and it still sits 1.5" lower on the drivers side. I can only think it has to do with the track bar or pitman arm or both. I have absolutely no bumpsteer and I cant figure it out.

Pics would help. Try unbuttoning your track bar and see what happens. Could the upper coil spring pocket be smashed upward? Its quite a pickle without pics...

I have had the same problem to a lesser extent on both of my MJs even before lifting. With the original truck which I bought new the dealer told me it was common and they were allowed up to 1.5 inches varience. I know It doesn't make you feel better to know this but you're not the only one out there with the problem. If you find a solution please post it.

Beej said:
Could the upper coil spring pocket be smashed upward? Its quite a pickle without pics...

I would hazzard a guess that this is the case.

I had an 86 that someone removed the bumpstops on, smashed the rim (or something else hard) into the drivers spring bucket and bent it up 1" and toward the motor .5"

Either that or you're sitting in realy uneven ground :D

BTW, do you have bumpstops?

just my $.02, free of charge.

My XJ has a bit of a "pimp lean" as well. It's not much. Probably about a half inch lower on the drivers side rear. I installed Rustys 3" packs about 8 months ago and they're starting to loosen up a bit but not much. I thought maybe I had the shackle a little too tight on that side so I loosened it just a C hair this morning. I'll see how things look after I go run some errands.

Must resist.... ahhhhhhhh

freisnewbig1.JPG

Ok. so nothing seems bent and the rear leafs are new. it actually sits higher in the opposing corner if you look at it in the rear(passenger side). I will try to post some pics tonight. it just sits weird that I can pull up on the drivers side and hold it level. I just cant help but think it has to do with the track bar or steering because they both attach to that side.

Dan

DPC said:
Ok. so nothing seems bent and the rear leafs are new. it actually sits higher in the opposing corner if you look at it in the rear(passenger side). I will try to post some pics tonight. it just sits weird that I can pull up on the drivers side and hold it level. I just cant help but think it has to do with the track bar or steering because they both attach to that side.

Dan
The track bar locates the axle laterally under the chassis. It has nothing to do with ride height.

The steering turns the wheels. It has nothing to do with ride height.

Stop chasing ghosts, consider how the suspension works, and focus on components that might actually affect the condition you're investigating.

First check it with the swaybar disconnected,also check your isolators,a bad one will definately cause this.

i've been trying to figure this out as well... mine sits a good inch lower on the driver's side,
measured both at the front and back of the rig-- even my 4 year old daughter noticed it!
i'm wondering if it might be the new leaf packs, but i hate the thought of pulling them back
out to check. thanks for the isolater tip, i guess i'll start there for now.

I did a 2" lift on my MJ and noticed the problem before ethe sway bar was hooked back up. It was a good 1.5 - 2 inches lower right to left.
I removed the lift, bought new 3" coins and it was still low on the drivers side by 1/2-5/8 of an inch. The sway bar ballanced everything out.
While looking at the rear, I dont think it is also level either. I have a add-a-leaf and a taller shackle to install. Hopefully this will help.

CW

Am having the same issue..... how many of you have removed the the rear sway bar, and still have the spare mounted on the driver's side rear? Beings how the sway bar's main puropse is to even out the stresses on the suspension, it seems to me, taking it off, with a weight bias to the left (IE: the spare) would cause this very problem.

Had thought of taking the spare, and laying it flat or just leaving it home for the day, but haven't gotten to that. Laying it flat means clearing out enuf room for it at the moment. have sleeping bags and tants back there, which, although take up space, don't weigh out to ballence the spare (full sized, 30-9.5-15)

Have a 3in BB, and brand new KYB Monomax shocks. Removed the sway bar when installing the shocks over the weekend.

If I am crazy, feel free to pummel me!

A long time ago my friend had that happen on his 98 ZJ.....never could figure it out.
I worked as a truck/jeep tech at the dealer for two years an never saw any others like it. I would suggest looking at the coils out of the truck, are they level? I remember a company (not sure which possible RK) having problems with un-level front coils. Basically follow all the suggestions here and if that doesnt work out....ACOS

Mine sits ~1"+ lower on the pass side. The cause? an "S" shaped leaf. Oops.

Back