• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Got a donor pair of rear leaf springs to try to help my old and tired ones, but was brought to my attention they looked a bit short, and may now be no good. When comparing them, seems they cut the main leaf about an inch shy from center.
I'm still going to change out the rest of the pack with mine regardless, as mine definitely needs it, but with the donor main leaf added in, will being an inch shorter be ok to help me get it up to where it should be? As well to be noted, this is just a temporary thing I'm doing until I can afford to get a proper lift on next summer, earlier if I can, and just need to get it up to at least stock. or a bit over stock if possible.

Frankly, I didn't follow all of it. What vehicle did your donor pair come from? If it was a cherokee, you can just cut the eyes off the donor main leaf and add it into your pack right under your main leaf. It will give you a bit of lift (1/2" - 1 1/4") and will keep your pack riding very similar to how it did previously. When you say they cut the main leaf about an inch shy from center, did you mean they cut it in half an inch shy from the center of the leaf, or did they cut the eyes off an inch shy from the center of the eyes? More info would help...

Also, unless your pack is damaged, there's no need to change the rest of it out, especially with a donor pack that has unknown mileage. You can blend the two packs, cutting and fitting the donor leafs into your existing pack for more lift too...

Thanks for the response.
I have limited tools at my disposal so I had them cut them off for me. Instead of cutting the rear of the pack at the center of the eye, they cut them about an inch shorter. than the center of the eye.

My leaf springs aren't damaged as in cracked or broken, but sag due to them hauling a uhaul trailer across the country. I am at present a negative arc slightly so am riding at 15" from center to flare. The donor vehicle's springs are in great shape compared to mine as I made sure of, before hand. [It was sitting with it's wheels/axles intact]

Understood. I would say go ahead and use that cut main leaf from the donor pack and put them right under your main leafs. You might want to change out the next leaf down, but as for the rest, I would be surprised if they would be worn that badly. If its come down all the way to 15" from hub to flare, then consider adding a couple of leaves to each pack. The rest will be trial and error. Unfortunately, there's just no other way to go with this other than playing around. Good luck, my Canadian brother! :canada:

Thanks! What I was thinking of doing is use the entire new packs, and add to my main, as well as keeping my second leaf on each side and ditching the rest, giving me two per side. My other leafs may be ok, but not sure and I know the donors I have aren't bad at all, so better to go with what I know is good, and go from there. I guess once I get mine off, I should really compare the two and see what the difference ends up looking like. Just have to get a couple daysl to do it now. Going to after I get some sleep cut the center pin on the donor ones and get them apart. WIll probably clean them up a bit and coat them to prevent rust on them like I tend to do everything as I do things. Gotta love the salt in the winter here! NOT!
:canada:

Back