• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do the 4 cyl Xj's overheat like the 6 cyl?

Mercenary

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks. I am thinking about adding another XJ to the fold. This one is an 94 bare bones model (standard, 231 x-fer, 2.5l 4 banger) with low miles. I was wondering if the 4 cyl models have the same overheating issues as the 4.0L Cherokee's. Common sense is telling me, No, they don't overheat like the 4.0's but better to find out now rather than later eh!

Thanks.

Well, we have 2 97TJ's with 2.5L 4's and they run much cooler than my XJ with it's 4.0 but I did just put new rads inboth of them. They run right at 195 by my guestimate on the panel gauge in all conditions so far. I had my daughters on the powerline today, 90 hazy, hot, humid. 4Lo crawling in 1st it stayed rock solid. My XJ does the same thing but since I replaced the waterpump, hoses, tstat it too is running alot cooler than in the last 2 years since I put the gauge panel in, had idiot lights before..

Mercenary said:
Hi folks. I am thinking about adding another XJ to the fold. This one is an 94 bare bones model (standard, 231 x-fer, 2.5l 4 banger) with low miles. I was wondering if the 4 cyl models have the same overheating issues as the 4.0L Cherokee's. Common sense is telling me, No, they don't overheat like the 4.0's but better to find out now rather than later eh!

Thanks.

I own an 85 xj wagoneer with the 2.5 inline four cylinder carbed and even on my second engine I have never gone over 190 in temperature. Only once did my original engine overheat and that was because I stayed on the gas for about two or three minutes when getting pulled out of a mud pit. Just make sure that all your cooling components are in good working order and make sure you have or get a temerature gauge.

Kim.

Back