• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much paint?

brokexj

NAXJA Member #1165
Anybody know how much paint it takes to paint a 4 door? Gallon, 1/2? I was goint to rattle can it, but I have a paint gun so it can't look any worse with a gun, right?

What type of material are you planning on spraying?

Given ideal conditions, a paint that has high coverage and a primer that is of a similar color, and you put the paint on perfectly, you can do it with two quarts. I tend to use around three quarts. I then keep the extra to fix rock rash.

I have a good source for cheap paint. I end up paying about $50 for a gallon with reducer and hardner. The range of colors are limited, but the paint is decent quality. It is acrylic enamel.

Great, so if I can get a gallon, I should *reasonably* be able to paint it. Looking at painting it dark blue, stock color. Would gray primer be the color to roll with? BTW, thanks for the info.

back 'in the day' (the days when children were allowed to spray real lacquer)

When using acrylic enamel (Dupont Centari IIRC) we'd order one gallon per (fullsize) car, plus an extra quart can. Shake up the paint, pour off that 1 quart, then refill the gallon with reducer and shoot it. (3:1 ratio, paint to thinner)

The extra quart we'd give to the customer JIC they needed collision repair work in the future, they'd have some that matched.

brokexj said:
Great, so if I can get a gallon, I should *reasonably* be able to paint it. Looking at painting it dark blue, stock color. Would gray primer be the color to roll with? BTW, thanks for the info.

Yeah, a gallon should be plenty...

grey or red primer :dunno: your call. All we ever used was red lacquer-based primer surfacer, which we'd then wetsand with 320 for enamel, then finish wipe with enamel reducer (cheap 'prepsol') & lightly wave a tack cloth over it just before painting.

Are you going to be in any sort of climate controlled booth? The reason I ask is that the reducers come in several flavors depending on the temperature and humidity... be sure to tell your paint supplier your plan so he can set you up. Be sure to get a squirt of fisheye reducer into the raw gallon.

Be sure to find something to experiment & practice on before you turn that gun loose on the Jeep... Off the top of the head, enamel liked lower pressure than lacquer...somewhere around 30?

Forgive me, but my CRS kicks in & out...

For the last 10 or so years, I haven't found the fisheye remover to be necessary. I was told they are putting it in the paint now. Do you know what it is? It is actually silicone, the exact thing that causes fisheye. They just add enough to the paint so it will wet to the existing silicone on the surface that would cause fisheye. Maybe some brands require it more than others. It won't hurt putting it in, but I haven't found it necessary.

Climate controlled only in that I will try and do it on a low humidity day (In the Southeast?!)in a reasonably dust controlled garage. I will be trying my hand at it with some spare doors before I turn loose on the jeep. I have some experienced friends so I won't be too lost. I appreciate the info, helps alot.

old_man said:
For the last 10 or so years, I haven't found the fisheye remover to be necessary. I was told they are putting it in the paint now. Do you know what it is? It is actually silicone, the exact thing that causes fisheye. They just add enough to the paint so it will wet to the existing silicone on the surface that would cause fisheye. Maybe some brands require it more than others. It won't hurt putting it in, but I haven't found it necessary.

Huh! good to know.

Back