• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Displaying '97 XJ Codes and Help w/Diagnosis

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
XJ Fans,

Recent trouble w/my 1997 XJ Sport w/4.0 L & 5 speed manual includes the following symptoms:

1. Saturday AM while on freeway w/cruise on. Intermittent loss of power that went away shorlty after I disengaged cruise. I drove the '97 back home and took another vehicle for my errands.

2. One brief trip later that evening. No issues.

3. This AM to work - No issues.

4. This PM return trip home - Worse power loss oscillations than Saturday AM. "Service Engine" light appeared. Very severe bucking w/some tire patches caused by the reduction of power at rear wheels; hence they dragged slightly. All cleared up about 5-7 minutes later.

Does anyone here know how I can get at the trouble code causing the engine serivce light to be displayed? I do not have access to a scan tool.

The most recent work performed to the XJ was replacement of the catalyst, muffler & tailpipe. I used the Walker parts that any Jeep dealer gets. I think these are typically called the "Value Line" parts. Note I re-used the rear oxygen sensor as we were able to remove it without damaging it.

What does this suggest to you?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Rick

Pull your codes first... Intermittent problems can be a PITA but usually aren't hard to fix... To retrieve your codes:

With the key in the off position, ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON... The codes should display where the odometer is...

Will.

I strongly suggest you purchase a code reader. The benefit of having one in house is a real conviniece, especially when you truck wouldn't start so you could go take it to autozone for a free scan.

Back