• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny temp gauge

anaheimxj

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone installed a transmission temperature gauge?
the sender on mine says to replace the drain plug with it, any thoughts?

I could not put it in the test gauge hole because the fluid is not always that high, right?

aw4, 4.0L, 1996

The pressure test point for main pump pressure always has fluid flow when the engine is running...however, if the sensor will fit in the test port...if it inserts too deep, could restrict fluid flow depending on how the fluid galleys are made..the old sensor in the pan trick works well as long as the hardware is out of the way so it don't get dragged off.

Get an inline kit to put the sensor in the cooling lines. You can have it up out of the way and it will give you a much more accurate reading, if you put it in the hot line.

I think both B&M and Autometer sell a kit to do it.

I added a sender to an external filter housing, on the return line(wanted to see how it was temp-wise going back in after the aux cooler) - I will probably add another sender in the hot line coming out of the tranny to see what the temp difference is, if for no other reason than to see how well the aux is really doing it's job.....I have heard that the temp difference between the hot and cold sides can be as much as 50 degrees, I figure I can see for myself this way.

I installed mine in the return line from the transmission cooler. I believe that mopar has a part for installing in the return line. If I remember correctly 5/16" OD Tubing - P4876057, 3/8" OD Tubing - P4876058. Hope this helps.

Craig

What I am thinking of doing is putting two sensors in and wiring them up to a switch right next to the gauge. one for Tranny, the other for transfercase.. or possibly the cold and hot. Just a simple pushbutton non-momentary switch.

One thing I am not too clear on is do the Transmission and transfer case swap fluid. if not is there ever any problems with the transfer case overheating? I have seen a gauge that has both transfercase and tranny temp gauges on it but its kinda hokey looking and figured this way would be a little easier to read.

Hodge

If have a sending unit in both lines controlled by a toggle switch and, yes, at times there is a 50 degree difference(super slow wheeling or pulling long steep grades in the mountains. Normally the difference is around 30.

The hottest the hot line has ever reached is just under 210, and hotest the return line has reached is 170. Normally much lower.

:party:

thanks for the input. now that I look more closely I think the crossmember/support is too close for my comfort. it may shift and break off the sender.

if there is only a 50 degree cooling happening, is that really something to be too concerned about?

I found the manifold to do it inline. its connectors look to be compression fittings that are screwed into the block. I have little faith in that type of fitting. I could replace them with flares, barb-type fot the flex/rubber hose, or the like without causing any reading problems, right?

Just wondering how the install is going, looking at doing it pretty soon, have to swap out the ATF, at the 60,000 mile marker and want to do a belt adjustment and the such, since i'm in there wanna install my cooler and gauge senders. That way i don't have to keep screwing with filling ATF.

One more question is this the manifold you used?
atm-2286_m.jpg

I am assuming it is.

Thanks Hodge

I'd put it in the pan. You can get an B&M or equivalent drain plug kit and install it in the pan. B&M's tranny temp sensor will screw in place of the plug in their add-on drain plug kit.

I have notdone it yet.

However, when I do that is the manifold that I will use.

As for mounting it where PaulJ suggests, I think it has to great of a chance of being sheared off, as my second post stated.

It is of course up to you and the layout of your vehicle and its add-ons.

I have mine in the Pan. Havent run it yet tho :D
used a Nordskog gauge on an autometer pod.
I put a switch to turn the gauges off when I dont want to see bright red.
bangher.jpg

OWL,
Do you have a part number on the pod?
I havn't found one for an XJ in summit or anywhere.

Also, why would anyone worry about the temp of oil returning into the system? If the oil coming out is 500* your going to puke your tranny no matter what the return temp is.

anaheimxj said:
I found the manifold to do it inline. its connectors look to be compression fittings that are screwed into the block. I have little faith in that type of fitting. I could replace them with flares, barb-type fot the flex/rubber hose, or the like without causing any reading problems, right?
So im about to install a tranny temp guage and was gonna use a block just like that. is there any problems with the fittings? any tips for cutting the lines ? do they need flared? i am able to do so if thats the case. I just dont want to be loosing my transmission when im trying to hel pit.:eek:

This site has the Dual "A" Pillar gauge pod for 27.90.

http://egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Jeep_Cherokee

They also have cheap autometer gauges. Ive got a Trans Temp and Air/fuel ratio gauge in my '91 2dr. and love it. I can tell if the tranny is hot and if the Engine is running lean or rich.

Back