• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end "clunking"

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I started noticing a clunking noise coming out of my front end (feels like driver's side to center) this weekend when I go over bumps. I'm pretty sure it's in the suspension somewhere, but I'm just searching for troubleshooting ideas. It feels like something is loose or bouncing around. I wonder if I blew a shock, but there isn't any oil anywhere. Does it in 2wd and 4wd with sway bars connected and disconnected. It doesn't do it over smooth road, just when it gets bumpy. I took a look at it doens't appear that anything is loose, but I haven't gone over things with a wrench.

How much noise does a clunking bar pin make?

Any ideas?

If all your suspension mounts are nice and tight, and your bushings are not worn out...it could be your ball joints.

Of course this is a kinda worst case scenario since replacing your ball joints is not a typical backyard repair, and it'll cost quite a bit at a shop.

I just thought about ball joints since you mentioned it happened regardless of whether you're in 4wd or not, and it didn't matter whether you're swaybars were connected or not.

I'm leaning away from your Trac-bar and steering box unless you notice a difference while turning the wheel like "Roll-over" mentioned.

That reminded me of the ball joints. They are not a common problem, so hopefully I'm wrong.

DJ

I hope it's not the ball joints.

I haven't tried to recreate the noise while not moving. I meant to jump on the bumper and see if it still does it. I'll try the steering wheel thing.

Have a buddy climb on the bumper and rock your rig up and down, and side to side while you lie on the ground and do some "look, listen, and feel."

You could also grasp your tires at the top and try to rock them in and out. Maybe help localize the noise to one side or the other, and eliminate some components. Which reminds me...something simple: check your lug nuts.

I once let a local NTB rotate my tires for me, and a few miles away I noticed a knocking noise in my front end. I looked out my window to see my driver's side front wheel wobble badly whenever I turned the wheel. The lug nuts were unbelieveably loose.

Always look for the simpliest solution first.

DJ

Checking the lugs was the first thing I did. They were all still tight.

I had a problem on my subaru a couple years ago with a clunking similar to this. It turned out that one of the front struts was loose. It sounds and acts so similar that what has me thinking it's suspension related.

johnh2os said:
I had a similar clunking on my XJ....... my motor AND trans mounts were both loose, so check those too.

My $.02 cents

John

I had the same problem. Put your car in drive, have a body look at the motor, and hold the brake firm and give it a good punch. If its the motor mount then you should hear the noise or your friend should see the motor jump up a significant ammount.

If its not that i would guess trac bar. Check both sides.

I currently have the same problem as intrepid. It bothers the hell out of me but it is livable.--------Kyle

offroadman83 said:
I currently have the same problem as intrepid. It bothers the hell out of me but it is livable.--------Kyle

I have noticed a clunk in mine too the past couple days after having my 6.5 inch lift installed. However, my driver's side coil seems to be touching the bottom of where my JKS quick disconnect for my swaybar attaches as seen in the following pics:

http://www.jeepin.com/features/jks/jks2.jpg
http://www.jeepin.com/features/jks/jks8.jpg

It's the piece of metal that looks like a backwards "s". Any ideas on that?

hey i had a clunk in mine, just fixed it today, the axle side lower control arm bolts had somehow wiggled their way loose, so i put the new torque wrench on em and bolted them suckers down to almost 75(anyone know if this is the correct poundage) ft pounds of torque or however that thing reads..we will see, i am now reveiwing go jeeps wheel alignment site as i have an obvious caster issue.....so maybe i can fix that before i drive to georgia next week...good luck man, hope you find yer issue...
Maier

Turned out to be a loose shock. The upper nut must have been a bit loose (was at least finger tight) and the shock moved enough to eat up the rubber bushing. Bad on the driver's side, and a little chewed on the passenger side. That's what I get for having someone else install them...

Thanks for the suggestions.

One more idea! Have a buddy rock the steering wheel from side-to-side whilest you look at the tie-rod end that connects to the Pitman Arn to the drag link. Solved my problem on my 89.

jdbwrx said:
Turned out to be a loose shock. The upper nut must have been a bit loose (was at least finger tight) and the shock moved enough to eat up the rubber bushing. Bad on the driver's side, and a little chewed on the passenger side. That's what I get for having someone else install them...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been looking for a replacement for these bushings for about a week. Where did you get yours? It seems like a very simple part that almost any parts store, service center, or dealership should carry. The four places I have called or visited could not get me the right part.

Just by chance Carquest had some. NAPA did not. I tightened the new ones up, and it ended up doing the same thing week later, just shredded the bushings. I am getting ready to put on more lift, and the new skyjacker shocks have brand new ones that appear to be harder than the ones that came with Rusty's or the CarQuest ones. Hopefully they'll hold up better.

In the meantime, I wondered around Home Depot for while looking for something to use, and ended up with some rubber toilet tank washers. I was able to resue the bottom bushings I had, and just put a few of the toilet washers on the top. It's probably not the best permanent solution, but I have been out wheeling with it and it held up fine. You might be able to get some aftermarket poly bushings that will hold up better.

Hope that helps.

i have the same clunking and well its still there... checked everything under the sun and still no luck for me :(

Back