• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconect rear sway bar?

Pogiboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 counrty and put 2.5 inch blocks in the back. Have had a problem with tires rubbing on the sway bar bushing from it being raised. I really like my stock lace rims and dont want to buy new wheels with more backspacing. I have heard that people disconnect their rear sway bar. I do a lot of freeway driving, would this affect the safty and preformace in a bad way?

No. Just take it off and junk it. Im currently driving my 95 with both swaybars disconnected, its my DD. It is a bit different and it takes some getting used to, but as long as you dont drive like a maniac you should be ok. Just be a little more cautious and avoid sudden turns if you can.

woody431 said:
No. Just take it off and junk it. Im currently driving my 95 with both swaybars disconnected, its my DD. It is a bit different and it takes some getting used to, but as long as you dont drive like a maniac you should be ok. Just be a little more cautious and avoid sudden turns if you can.
i've been thinking about chucking both sways.... do you think its worth it, and what issues have you come into with it?

For the longest time I refused to remove my rear bar because I have a Limited, which means soft leaf springs. I just removed it earlier this spring and I haven't noticed any difference on the road at all. I also made front disconnects and had the chance to try everything out off road yesterday. Removed rear helps and with it gone and the front disco'd, it was great. I'm unlifted, so maybe it doesn't make as much difference but I noticed.
Do not completely remove the front if it's your DD. If you were to get into an accident and the insurance co. or police found out you removed a factory item that's intended to help keep the vehicle under control, you could find yourself S.O.L.

I went to remove mine one day and to my suprise....it had already been taken off.

The rear sway bars are pretty worthless anyways. I heard somewhere that the overland package didn't even have them from the factory.

The Up-Country package XJs didn't have a rear sway bar.

I removed mine (an 88 Limited 4WD) last week and it does lean a bit more that I was used to, but nothing overly strange...

The front is a give & take deal. I totally removed mine on another MJ (+5" lift) and on an XJ (+6") both on 33", and it didn't make any big difference...as they both handled like steaming piles of doo-doo anyway...

The past weekend installed a budget boost & 30" on the 88... left the front bar links unhooked so I could get some wingnuts for homemade QDs... Huge unhappy -tippy feeling...but I was used to driving it with 225/75s at -1" height. :dunno: Got the QD nuts on this morning and all is well again. I suppose I could get used to both ends unhooked, but I'd rather keep some semblance of steering precision for the street.

FWIW the front link threads are metric 10mm x 1.50mm (NOT 3/8" coarse) 2 stainless steel wingnuts for a couple bucks = cheap quick disconnects.

Thanks for the info. Took it off today and cant tell any diference!! Easy too. Didnt even have to take the wheels off.

By the way I am a newby to this site. I have a 93 Country with 2.5 inches of lift and 30 inch BFG mud terrains. Hopefully many more upgrades to come!

that's what I did... only have gone 50 miles or so since, so I can't vouch for longevity (the wingnuts only engage about half the threads that a regular nut does)

I did this over a thousand miles ago. No problems yet--just really crank the wingnuts down or you might hear slight clunking. Oh yeah, maybe get a couple of eyebolts and small bungees to hold the swaybar up out of the way.

sorry to raise a dead thread from the crypt but how is the wingnut quick discos working in the long run? thinking about doing it to mine... pulling the rear sway tonight...

I've been running the wingnut QD's for, oh, almost 8000 miles and haven't had any problems except once on a really really rough washboard road. They started coming loose, once I got back on pavement I just tightened em up again and no problem. I also have clevis pins, washers, and cotter pins replacing the bolt at the bottom of the endlinks. It works great, I can remove both endlinks in about a minute.

red91xj said:
sorry to raise a dead thread from the crypt but how is the wingnut quick discos working in the long run? thinking about doing it to mine... pulling the rear sway tonight...
I've only been offroad three to four times since I took out the rear and disco'd the front, but everything's doing fine. The last time I went offroad, I had to have a couple guys I'd just met push down on the driver's side to help reconnect, but otherwise all is well. I used some copper anti-seize grease on the endlinks to help keep them from freezing up.
EDIT: The worst noise I got was from the clevis pins I originally used to replace the lower bolts. I've since replaced them with grade eight bolts and again used copper anti-seize on the threads. No problems.

Pogiboy said:
I have a 93 counrty and put 2.5 inch blocks in the back. Have had a problem with tires rubbing on the sway bar bushing from it being raised. I really like my stock lace rims and dont want to buy new wheels with more backspacing. I have heard that people disconnect their rear sway bar. I do a lot of freeway driving, would this affect the safty and preformace in a bad way?
I wish we could have a sticky on this subject...it's asked alot.

Back