• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Upgrade

BUCKET

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
Lookin For The Right Advice The First Time, I Have A 91 Xj Vac Disco Dana 30 And I Want The Bigger U-joints. Mine Are The Small 260s Already Have An Arb Up Front And Don't Want To Go With The Super 30 Are There Axle Swaps Out There If So ??? Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

BUCKET said:
Hi All,
Lookin For The Right Advice The First Time, I Have A 91 Xj Vac Disco Dana 30 And I Want The Bigger U-joints. Mine Are The Small 260s Already Have An Arb Up Front And Don't Want To Go With The Super 30 Are There Axle Swaps Out There If So ??? Any Help Would Be Appreciated.
IF ITS NOT RIGHT WE'LL ALWAYS THINK IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN

Just snag yah a set of late model axles from the boneyard.

You have a couple of choices. Option #1 is to use later model (95' up) XJ or TJ shafts. These have larger 297 joint but will require you to lose the disconnect. Carrier will need to removed and special axle seal installed in passenger side tube. Axle is not machined for standard seal hence a special one is needed. Warn and Randy's sell them, but a search of this board should yield a part # for a cheap National/CR seal that be had at any decent parts house. The disco vac motor can either be removed and plate made to cover or simply remove shift fork and reuse motor housing a cover. Seen it done both ways. This would also hold true for any aftermarket alloy shafts.

Option #2 is to use later model driver side XJ/TJ shaft and a 95 YJ Wrangler passenger shaft. The 95 YJ passenger shaft has larger joint and is a disco shaft. No mods necessary. Good luck finding a used one, but FourWheel Drive Hardware sells them for around $139 or so.

Option #1 is considered stronger becasue the intermediate shaft in the disco setup tends to break with lockers and large tires.

I converted to the 95 YJ shafts. It is a plug and play swap. I found mine in the bone yard for $50. It was a good bang for the buck. I've never seen a shaft break at the disco, only at the ujoint end.

Back