• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help - Thin Oil

Cruzzin_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i just changed my oil, out came 7 quarts, in went 5
Why would my oil grow 2 quarts? It's also very thin?
Any Ideas
98 XJ 4.0 60k on motor
JOhn

Two quick points -

1) The 4.0 sump holds six quarts, not five. Add a quart (and you might have only grown one.)

2) That means you'd have only grown one quart - but we'll leave that aside for the moment.

Question - is this a new vehicle for you? The oil tends to thin a bit due to gasoline carried in blowby gasses, but I'd refrain from any further comment until your next oil change - and the results of that. How did you measure your oil coming out, anyhow? Just wondering...

5-90

When you changed your oil, was the engine warm or had it been sitting overnight? What type of oil are you running ie: Synthetic or regular. What viscosity is the oil ie: 10w30, 5w30, 15w40, etc,etc. There are lots of harmless reasons why your oil may look a little thin to you right now so don't get in a panic.

3rd oil change with Oil Expanding. Yes your right Filled 6 quarts and 7.5 Quarts Drained, - just measured, I sould have writen that correctly, i was just using numbers for a reference. Oil was very ythin, did my Daughters Cabriolet at the same time, her's looked like oil mine looked like water. Both changed warm? using 10-40 Val. Have owned the Jeep for 2 years just noticed this for the last 3 Oil Changes. Drive 300 miles week, oil pressure starts to drop to 10psi at idle at 1500 miles, i change the oil about every 2000 miles now. That doesn't seem right, but i'm running 37's so i'm sure i'm straining the drivetrain some here in Colorado. Thanks for all the input and keep it comming
John

Measure by putting it back into the original quarts . used original level too measure quart level

langer1 said:
What color is it? How's the water level?
Color of oil is Black, no visable antefrezze, doesn't smell like gas?

Only really two ways, either you measured wrong or you have one heck of a leaky injector and dont let the engine get hot enough to cook off the fuel.
I had a leak on mine and was loosing about a quart and a half between changes. When I was doing my water pump I noticed that a couple of the bolts on the timeing cover was backed out and the oil was seeping thru. Tightened the things back up and so far my dipstick is telling me no oil loss yet.

This is a classic symptom of a leaky injector allowing gas to leak into the cylinder when you stop and then down past the rings. It dilutes the oil. Like the man said, an analysis of the oil would be in order. If you leave a leaky injector, it washes the oil from the cylinder wall and will cause premature wear. Diluted oil is also bad for bearings. A seasoned mechanic can tell by smelling the dip stick.

Thanks Guys, i'll have to check on that

Oil testing is the only way to go. Truckers have been doing it for years, not sure why it hasnt come into general use with shadetree mechanics. Most parts stores sell a kit but I would find out where truckers send it, I'd trust that company more. If I get around to it I'll ask my buddy.

Head to any truckstop that has a repair shop. They can tell you where the best analytical testing lab is locally.

Back