• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reinforcing a D30, Mark? (Hinkley)

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I had a D30 break on me on the axle tube. So the next one is going to be reinforced. Yeah I know I am polishing a turd, but at this point I'm strapped for $ and if I pick up another bare D30 housing I'll be able to get away with only the cost of a master install kit (might as well do bearings) and a the cost of housing (already have 4.88's detroit and alloy shafts).

In any case, a topic that came up around the after welding camp fire was to find a piece of tubing that would fit just right inside the axle tube (press it in somehow). Anyone toyed with the idea? Mark, you've pressed one on the outside and had to redo all the bracketry: I can't recall though if you sliced open the tube in the middle or removed the knuckle and came in from that end.
Also what about pressing one inside? Any downsides to that? Any other ideas that are about just as easy to accomplish?

Consider trussing instead...

Kid4lyf's got some major turd polishing in the AdFab forum...

is.php

and this is ChuckD's version...
photo4.jpg

Just my $0.02...

Buit it would seem easier to cut and weld a truss than to sleeve, machine and press the tubes...

dunno

Gil BullyKatz said:
Buit it would seem easier to cut and weld a truss than to sleeve, machine and press the tubes...
Well I'm hoping that I get lucky and I find a tube that fits right inside the main tube.

In regards to welding to the tube like that... I don't know if I trust my welding well enough not to warp it or burn through.

greater diameter = greater strength

Sleeving inside the tube (small dia.) will give you the least gain in strength for the effort.

MaXJohnson said:
greater diameter = greater strength

Sleeving inside the tube (small dia.) will give you the least gain in strength for the effort.
well, it would give you the least gain for the weight, but I don't know about effort. if you found some tube of the right OD, you would just need to take off the knuckle and slide it in. I would even drill the outer tube a few places and do some rossette welds.

Take it to currie and have them retube the right side or dynatrac for that matter....then truss the heck out of it... just my opinion...or go HP44 1/2" tubes on the fords....

Clean-RC said:
Take it to currie and have them retube the right side or dynatrac for that matter....then truss the heck out of it... just my opinion...or go HP44 1/2" tubes on the fords....
ahhh but that's money now and time of which I got neither :( Anyone's got this coming Wednesda'sy lotto numbers?

Mark sliced a 3"(?) tube in half, sandwiched the long side & welded the 2 halves up. I would only do this if you're going 3 link as Mark did.
If it were mine, I'd consider it a freak break & just build another stock 30 (stock housing that is). 30 housings hold up to a hell of a lot more than most would ever believe, mine was still perfectly straight when I pulled it a couple of months ago & it saw a LOT of high & low speed abuse.

Paul

my hp44 has 1/2" tubes... and i bought the complete housing, shafts, knuckles, hubs, brakes, bla bla bla for 150.00

Back