• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uh-oh... Help

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
2 XJ's at home, both worked on recently.

FOUND, in the driveway. 1 small spring, 1 inch long, 1/2 inch diameter, packed with grease. Recently pulled the oil pan on the wifes, doubt it came from internally on the engine though as it has grease, not oil.

Any ideas?? Anyone have knowledge of "little springs" anywhere???

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Did you work on your front driveshaft recently? IIRC, there is a small spring loke you mentioned in the double cardan joint "centering yoke"

HTH

John

A neighbor with a sense of humour :D or your wife pulling your chain :laugh3:

I'll check the rear hatches as doors seem OK. My sister has an XJ too so I'll give her XJ the once over as well.

WHERE in the front DS is a little spring? This spring is pretty small. Not heavy duty either. Is their one in the steering dampener by chance??

If we could get a picture that would really help... if your rear brake drums are off there are alota springs in there and should have a nice greese on the contact surfaces etc..

Rocketman said:
WHERE in the front DS is a little spring? This spring is pretty small. Not heavy duty either. Is their one in the steering dampener by chance??

You would have to take the entire thing apart to see or lose the spring. It is inside the centering yoke.

This is kinda funny. I work for a Fire Dept. here in Texas. We have a morning check out of our rigs every morning. Some of the firemen are more anal about thier findings than others. One of our Captains goes nuts when he can not figure out how something goes or where something came from. We would take a nut or bolt every once in a while and throw it on the ground around his door or stratigically place where he would find it. Then, we would sit back and watch as he climbed iside, outide, on top, or under the rig, and in every compartment door trying to figure out what or where it came from. For hours he would keep wondering about it until someone would finally break down and tell him he had been pranked. Then we would do it again a month or two later and it would be just as funny. Do you know any firemen?

I took a TTY service school while I was in the navy, learned how to tear down and rebuild a UGC25. As a final we had to totally disassemble the thing, no two pieces together, and reassemble it in 4 hours. The instructors would put two or three extra parts in your boxes [springs, levers, pins] and when you were done you better have those extra parts left over....

Back