• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally the C-clip is out!

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so after about 2 weeks of trying to pull my no-slip defective locker out I finally got the C-clip out...(I took a week off trying...work you know).I pulled the locker out put the spiders back in and sealed the cover...everything was great until...a head of one of the diff cover bolts broke off while tightning it (35 ft/lbs). I sealed the little hole with RTV Ill be ok right? All the others went in fine.
Oh and by the way each coupling had its tooth broken.

i broke a diff cover bolt off on my old jeep...it was the first time i ever did a diff oil change, and i overtightened the little bugger.....the RTV held the fluid in place till the next time i changed the fluid.

depending how far down on the bolt it broke, u may be able to use vice-grips to remove the broken stud.

i wasnt that lucky on mine...it broke flush with the diff surface...so i took a air cut-off wheel and put a notch in the tip of the broken stud and i was able to unthread it with a flat head screwdriver.

anyway, lesson learned. dont overtighten those diff cover bolts!

CaptTrev

Well I didnt do anything to break it I had only driven it home from the shop that installed it and It gave me one wheel drive so i took it back and the shop said its not an install problem but that it was defective and then on the way back again i heard alot of popping and finally one last pop when i started stopping and then it rode fine so i guess it broke then.

Well I know I could install it but Im not sure if It would be easier to have the shop I get it replaced from to install it. It would cost alittle money but I went through so much crap with taking that locker out what if the next one I get it defective too. If the shop installs it then they would have to pull it out and get me another new one for free and I wouldnt have to deal with taking it out and putting it back in again. So Im not too sure what to do. Take a chance...save some money, or spend some money...no worries about another bad locker (= hours of saved time uninstall/installing)

Back