• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem figuring out track bar

riggersxj

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased the rusty's 4.5 kit with adjustable track bar I cant figure how to set it properly before i had it to far out now to far in this has to be straightened out before my alignment wont it knock everything off also I just ordered the rusty's upgrade track bar bracket so alignment must wait anyway

I kind of went of course the big question is how do i get the porper measurement for the track bar they say take it of and shake the vehicle, next proplem my steering refuses to lock int he straight position any ideas would be great help

You have to adjust the drag link to straighten out the steering wheel.

Changing the position of the axle under the vehicle will change the steering wheel centering. First get the axle centered, then as RCP Phx said, use the drag link adjuster sleeve to recenter the steering wheel.

I used a friend and a tape measure. I parked my truck on level ground and took the top bolt off of the top link of the track bar, and had a friend turn the steering wheel slowly. There is enough friction between the wheels and ground to force the axle side to side instead of turning the wheels. When it looks pretty good have your buddy hold the steering wheel in place and set the length of the trackbar and stick the bolt through again. Then I jumped up and down on the bumper to make sure the suspension was resting normally. THEN I measured the distance between the outer framerail and the inside sidewall of the tires on both sides and figured out the difference between them (using the eyeball approach I was a little over 1/2 inch off.). I took out the top bolt of the trackbar and readjusted it and put it back together and retorqued it. Don't forget to get the jam nut tight too! That's what I did. It's entirely possible that there are better ways to do it.

Matthew

i dont' understand why everyone says shake the vehicle to center it why not bust out a tape measure and make sure it is under there right. measuer from one side of the axle to the opposite side on the frame and vice versa when the numbers a are correct then the axle is centered. also when preforming your own alignment adjust the (damit i get them confused) the one from the axle to the steering box first then the one that connect the knuckles if you do it the other way it changes the toe ever so slightly.

Back