• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

matching rotors and calipers for 85 wagoneer?

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
I just took off my front left tire and seen how bad the clay had gotten to my rotor, caliper, and pads. I need to get replacements and don't want to buy new because this is a trail only jeep. I feel that replacements from the local junkyard would be good enough. Are there any other year xj's out there that I can get the same rotor and caliper from? I am running an 85 wagoneer with a 2.5 carbed engine with a d30 and cv shafts up front. If I need to purchase a new caliper than I will but a rotor from the local yard should be ok. Thanks everyone.

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
I just took off my front left tire and seen how bad the clay had gotten to my rotor, caliper, and pads. I need to get replacements and don't want to buy new because this is a trail only jeep. I feel that replacements from the local junkyard would be good enough. Are there any other year xj's out there that I can get the same rotor and caliper from? I am running an 85 wagoneer with a 2.5 carbed engine with a d30 and cv shafts up front. If I need to purchase a new caliper than I will but a rotor from the local yard should be ok. Thanks everyone.

Kim.
I've put rotors from a 89 on my 86.....I believe 91 is the Cutoff year for the different rotor/caliper combo.

Thanks for the info Storydude. Did you replace the caliper from the same year? I am looking for all years that I could use to replace my rotor and caliper with so when I go to the junkyard I can have a list of all the years of the jeeps that will match me.

Kim.

My 91 had differant rotors than my 84 xj.

I think that I will get the new calipers and just get the used rotors from the local yard if they are in decent shape. Does anyone know for sure what is the cutoff date for the rotors that will fit my 85. Does it go from 84 to 91 or is it different? Someone mentioned that their 91 was different than their 84. Anyone know? Thanks.

Kim.

Thanks Eagle!! That was some great info. I now know what to look for. This site is great for getting the help you need. There is usually someone here that knows something that the other person doesn't so everybody usually gets the help they need. Again thanks for the help.

Kim.

Autozoo has brand new valuecraft rotors for like 15 a side... almost worth going all new their duralast rotor if its stocked isnt much more and is a quality aimco rotor i have had great luck even with the valuecrap rotors from autozoo they are after all at leas t on the early xjs a pretty simple setup

wilcharl said:
Autozoo has brand new valuecraft rotors for like 15 a side... almost worth going all new their duralast rotor if its stocked isnt much more and is a quality aimco rotor i have had great luck even with the valuecrap rotors from autozoo they are after all at leas t on the early xjs a pretty simple setup

Thanks wilcharl. I think with that price I might get some new rotors instead. I am looking for some cheap rotors and if the price on some good used ones is close to the price of new ones than I will get the new rotors. I don't drive this jeep on the road much at all maybe 20 miles a month or less so if the used rotors are not in bad condition I will use them. It just sucks that I have to replace all this sh!t already because of some nasty clay. Lesson learned on that.

Kim.

I lost mine the same way.... thats how im up on the current prices on them ... did mine 2 wks ago

I didn't want to start another thread for this so I thought that I would use this one again. Ok I finally got a chance to get at the jeep again and finally got that dam caliper off. The top bolt was on there pretty good and took a week of pb blaster, a BFH, and a pry bar. I looked at my caliper and it seemed ok except for the rubber boot over the plunger on it is ripped open. You can see through the rip pretty good and is exposing some parts underneath. Is this ok for now or should I replace it now? I am putting all my extra money towards my 8.8 swap right now so will this be ok for a few trail rides or is it going to lock up on me or something? I was also told that there are two different rotor sizes for my year. Does anyone possibly know the size that I need. I measured my rotor across the center and it measured around 11". Hope that helps. Thanks in advance for the help.

Kim.

That boot pretty much keeps the piston from rusting, problem usually shows up after it has rusted and you try to push it back into the caliper for say new pads, at which point the rust scuffs up the inside of the bore which then usually leads to it seizing.

RichP said:
That boot pretty much keeps the piston from rusting, problem usually shows up after it has rusted and you try to push it back into the caliper for say new pads, at which point the rust scuffs up the inside of the bore which then usually leads to it seizing.

Thanks RichP. I had a feeling that was going to be the problem. I will be replacing the caliper than. Thanks again.

Kim.

Back