• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

plastic bottle for the radaitor broke

cowboyb65

NAXJA Member #1201
the plastic bottle that has the radiator cap blew a seal can i patch it with plastic weild or do i need to find one out there somewhere ?? its a 88 xj 4.0

Go to www.quadratec.com and get a new bottle and cap, $19 I think I remember hearing mentioned. That bottle and cap are actually an extension of the radiator more or less, called a surge tank, and needs to be pressurized or you will constantly overheat.

I dont think you can fix it. Mine leaked right around the bottom spout. I tried everything I could think of to get me by until the new one came in. Nothing worked. I tried epoxy, that clay looking stuff they sell on the counter at autoparts strores and a few other things as well. I ordered a new one from quadratec. It was here in couple of days.

type in "coolant bottle" in the search part when ya click the link above. it will take right there.

Last edited:
When you do replace the turtle understand that he is not suppose to be compltely full of coolant... There should be a window of air in there that keeps him from exploding... roughly halfway up is the correct full level on him but htere is a little plastic poll that indciates the full level

cowboyb65 said:
the plastic bottle that has the radiator cap blew a seal can i patch it with plastic weild or do i need to find one out there somewhere ?? its a 88 xj 4.0

The Quadratec one is the way to go. Got one at the dealer and cost almost $100 bucks. Had to have it that day so I was stuck with the dealer.

my-xj-addiction said:
or if you have the coin and want something bombproof.....
http://www.macsradiator.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=28&HS=1
Wow, never knew about this one. Thanks for posting. It'll be going into mine this summer. Price is well worth the peace of mind. I'm sick and tired of the plastic POS surge tank.

Anybody have that and what do you think? Build quality, fit, etc. What psi radiator cap should go on there.

_Maz

wilcharl said:
When you do replace the turtle understand that he is not suppose to be compltely full of coolant... There should be a window of air in there that keeps him from exploding... roughly halfway up is the correct full level on him but htere is a little plastic poll that indciates the full level

TURTLE :laugh3: :laugh3:

A guy at a napa about 8 yrs ago that also had an XJ called the thing a turtle and the name stuck for me... I guess it kind of does look like a turtle... esp if its got nasty brownish green coolant in it

I thought about the moroso surge bottle when mine kept cracking in florida (new bottle every 2 yrs) but i only paid 129 for the GDI 3 core radiator.... and have had much better cooling... I know there are alot of GoDan Haters on here but ive had it since 2K1 with no problem... A nice coolant overflow bottle sits where the Renault Pressure Turtle once sat.. I really like the custom made bottles that someone posted on here... That may have had me keep the closed set up.. NOPE NAH not after burping it every time i had to open it up

The stock bottle on my '89 went a few years ago & I bought a used one from someone. When THAT went I got one from Quadratech (or 4WD Parts - same thing).

The new one is esentially the same but the cap is better (beefier) than the original. No problems.

The bottles are cheep at the junk yard but if you ever need to replace the radiator in an xj with that setup, consider changing over to an open system.

Even Jeep gave up and went back to an open system in '92. Check out this link.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/12_dec/radiator/radiator.html

I did it to my '89 and have been very happy with it. I put in a 3 core radiator and have had no overheat problems since.

Back