• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

amc 20 rear swap

y-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 85 wagoneer i got for free but it has no title so i was wondering how hard it would be to swap that rear end into my 1990 xj that currently has a 35 in it and also what would i have to do about the gearing because i dont want to mess with the front because the wag i got has vacume disconect and i dont want to do all that work for that thanks

not sure about FJ but the CJ axles were 2 peice amd werent that strong.
..btw Im down in Columbiana bout 15 minutes from Y-town, by 4WD hardware, got any good places to wheel around here. thanks

FSJ's have 1-piece shafts on the AMC 20, far stronger than the version used on the CJ's. Swap both axles that way you have the same wheel bolt pattern all around. A disco 44 would give you 2-low to boot. What's better than free?

[got any good places to wheel around here. thanks[/QUOTE]
i got some but not allot i ussualy go to hillsville webb rd some trails in hubered by bellwick bowl and the slage pits in girard if youneed any info on these postup or if you would tell me some of your local trails

y-townxj said:
i have a 85 wagoneer i got for free but it has no title so i was wondering how hard it would be to swap that rear end into my 1990 xj ...
Ummm ... an 85 Wagoneer is an XJ and would have another Dana 35 axle in the rear. The AMC Model 20 wasn't used.

Did you perhaps mean GRAND Wagoneer?

y-townxj said:
no way buddy full size wagoner duh
Duh ... the "Wagoneer" name as of 1984 was used on XJs. This is not idle speculation ... I owned one.

If it is a full-size, it's a GRAND Wagoneer, not a Wagoneer. You'll get more accurate information if you use the correct description for your vehicle.

The AMC20 was an excellent rear axle in the FSJs. They had a heavier casting for the center section, heavier tubes, and much better shafts than the CJ version, or even the car version. They had a Dana60 size pinion gear with an 8 7/8" ring gear. I don't think you can get better than that. There are a lot of gearing and locker options. in 85 the GW didn't have a disconnect normally, I know, I have had several and worked on many. The disco was only from 81-83. The width is within an inch or so of XJ.

I used a Waggy rear 20. It was an easy swap. As suggested before, you'll have to do something about the bolt pattern and the waggy axles usually come with crappy gear ratios (2.?? or 3.31....).

so basicly it bolts in with the exeption of the gears not maching and would it be worth it to swap the gears in the 20 to mach the d 30 up front because i honstly would rather not swqap the front just because of the pain it would be thanks again for all of the info

all right heres my plan trying to get my dads freind to trade me a set of 4cyl axels for mine because he owns a huge junk yard and then keeping those for a wiol and then swaping in the 20 wit 410s do yall guys think this is a good idea

Back