• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator opinion

drifto77

NAXJA Forum User
Iam about to get a new radiator for my 91 Laredo. Its got the 4.0 HO and an auto tranny with a/c. Could I please get some input on the pros and cons on a 1 core aluminum w/plastic tanks over a regular 2 core brass/copper one.
I know the plastic tanks dont last foreverer, but neither do radiators.
I just need help deciding what one to get.
(dont really think I want a 3 core even when Iam pretty good about keeping my system clean)
Thanks.
sorry if iam beatting the rad thing into the ground.

Aluminum is supposed to be better for transferring heat out of the loop, but it's a little pickier about maintenance, so you have to stay on top of coolant replacement and such. Also, the plastic tanks are crimped on instead of brazed - and I've never been a huge fan of that.

Since you have aircon, you are going to lose some efficiency due to the condenser in front of the radiator - another plus for the two-core (more area exposed to ram air.) With the automatic transmission, I'd also prefer the two-core - same reason (the radiator's efficiency is lowered slightly by the internal fluid cooler.)

Aluminum is usually fine for a street vehicle, but I just don't quite trust it enough for something that might be away from town. My vote goes for copper/brass.

5-90

I have found that the plastic side tanks get brittle with age and can spring a leak quickly and with out warning. My camaro and olds achieva both had sudden side tank destruction. :(

Good luck!

Get one from Radiatorbarn.com. They have heavy duty all metal 2 and 3 core radiators with life time warranty. I bought the CSI 3 core one for under $140 includes shipping. It is performing flawlessly.

OK... went to NAPA today and got me a radiator. Got a 3 core Power Flow.(hope i did'nt screw up)
I wanted the Modine 2 core but could not scrape up the $$$$.
and it was only 30 bucks more........

Any body got an opion about this thing?
I know about the cores wanting to clog up, but Iam pretty good about keeping a system clean. (most of the time)

I just bought the CSF 3 core radiator for $160 and its getting installed this week. I also have hescos hi-flow pump, bored out t-housing & cooler thermostat.
As for the radiator selections, Modine was a good one from what i heard but GDI bought them out and some people dont like GDI. They also say 2 rows are less likely to clog versus a 3 row BUT the 3 row is more heavy duty and 15% more cooling capacity.

Hope this helps some and i'll let u know how my 3 row CSF runs when installed!!

BIG-G

Just bought the CSF myself, and WP, and T-stat housing and T-stat, and belt. sheesh! I just dont wanna have to go in there again for a while.

I'm on day two of the same job. Rad, WP, Thermostat, fan clutch, rad & heater hoses. Broke the heater valve thing and a trannt hose clamp thing. Got 90% of the front clip off in the process. Back is killing me this am too. I'm doing it all so I don;t have to later.

Got a 2 core CSR, CSI(whateverbrand) w/ plastic tubes from radiators.com. Lifetime warrany (whatever that may mean) They game me the speel that they said Modine was bought by GDI and they don't reccomend them or cary them anymore. And that plasic disperses heat better than metal and all new cars have plastic tanks, blah, blah... I'll stay on top of the collant flush process and see fro myself.

This job was so much tougher (getting at bolts, etc.) than expected. WIll be alot easier next time LOL.... Better be in another 10yrs, but then again I'm sure the harmonic blancer will go next anyway...Joke, but probably true. It is in9 spec at the current time(thank god) Back to work...

The mixing valve is available aftermarket, good news is it's cheaper than the dealer and better news is the replacment is metal not plastic.

I switched from the closed system to the open @ 2 yrs ago.Got a GDI 3 core
from one of the local AutoZones.$140.00 w LTW.Haven't had any problems so far.
Rad (BRASS) no plastic or aluminum
Heater valve
Cap
clamps
Hoses (all)
Coolant
backflush
All totaled @ $210-$220
Sure don't miss the pressure bottle :laugh3:
Haven't heard a whole lot of good replys on the aluminum/plastic rads

I got the Autozone cheap plastic one. We'll see how it does.... As far as the plasctic cores, we'll see on that too...Everything else was MOPAR from the dealer.

Back