• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
ok,I need some help here....I'm pulling my np231 t case for rebuild and it seems the nuts that hold it to the transmission are siezed to the studs.When I loosen the nuts the studs turn in the case and max out against the trans.

I thought about using my dremel to cut the studs but it's really cramped under there,not to mention the top bolts would be impossible to reach.WHOEVER PUT THAT T-CASE TOGETHER SHOULD HAVE USED LOC TIGHT ON THE STUDS!!!!

Any ideas????

Last edited:
Can you get the stud out far enough to grip its shank with a large needlenose Vise-grips? If you can you might be able to get the nut to turn on the stud. Slow slow going then, but you'll be able to get it off with combination of turning the nut and retracting the stud back into the case with the pliers.

Also kind of risky, but of course if you could put some serious heat to the nut, that would probably do the job too.

Finally, I haven't looked at the thing myself, but if you could get a dremel tool in there, you could try backing the stud out as far as you can, then use the tool to cut not the stud but the nut. Put a deep enough axial groove in the nut and you can split it with a chisel.

I have a stupid question. Why can't you simply pull the tcase back as you loosen the studs? That will give you the clearance you need. I've had several studs come out and that was all it took. If the tcase won't pull back, make sure you dropped the plate on the bottom of the tcase that holds the rubber mount. There is a stud on the bottom center as well.

On my rig, I have to wiggle the tcase back just to get a couple of the nuts off. The won't clear the studs with the tcase all the way mated. That means that I have to start the nuts before the tcase is fully mated when I put it back together as well.

old_man said:
On my rig, I have to wiggle the tcase back just to get a couple of the nuts off. The won't clear the studs with the tcase all the way mated. That means that I have to start the nuts before the tcase is fully mated when I put it back together as well.

Mine too. I've got a 231 originally from behind an AW4 bolted to my AX5, and the top left stud barely clearances the shifter housing. I have to start that nut with the case barely engaged to the tranny and then tighten it up as I push the case closer.

Just wiggle the TC back as you back the stud(s) out. And don't forget to locktite them when you reinstall :laugh3:
Jeff

Back