• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac and voltage drop?

XJHOX

NAXJA Forum User
I seem to rememeber there was a write up about having voltage drop w/ the air condititoning on. Can someone give me a link, I cant find it anywhere. Thanks Jason

I don't have a link...but I do have some info...the compressor clutch coil draws a fairly high current...add in the blower fan and the aux cooling fan...the alternator may not be able to keep the voltage up especially at or near idle...not even including lights, ignition system, sound system, etc...to keep up the alternator needs to have an amperage output of at least 115 amps...more is better..a good alternator shop can modify yours if it isn't up to snuff...I have built lots of 12SI delco's that do that easily.

Im still not really sure what the real question is??But the most common cause for voltage drop is resistance in the wiring caused by bad connections due to loose or corroded wiring!Its also not limited to the + side wiring,check you grounding connections and grounding straps for paint or corrosion.

Back