• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny info & bizzare electrical issue

hbtmcg

NAXJA Forum User
Well i've been having tranny problems (delayed shifting).Turns out it is most likely the Tv cable. But since the previous owner changed the original manual tranny to an auto I've had a bear of a time id'ing the tranny. That way I can buy a new TV cable. SO i crawled under the car and searched for any casting numbers. Here's what I found:

MDS cast on the passenger side of the case
2 piece case (removable tail section) 4 bolts if I remember
When it does shift up it seems to be shifting into 3gears plus an overdrive
The tranny pan has 4 letter "L"s pressed into it in the shape of a box

Any idea as to what tranny this is and where to get a TV cable for it?

ELECTRICAL issue:

Yesterday it rained here in sunny Florida. I steped into the local Walmart and when I returned the Wipers, Turnsignals, Ciggarette Lighter stoped working. The headlights, hazzard lights and the glovebox light work. I have checked all fuses and they are all perfect.

Any ideas people?

Thanks everyone.
hbt

*** 1986 Cherokee 2.8l, Unkown Auto, A/C, 4 tires, 2 doors ***

hbt

Last edited:
where you at in florida?

I'm in mulberry right now. if you're close I'll come look at it.

this a 4-cyl or 6-cyl?

I can't think of anything that would have 4 Ls stamped into the pan.

does the tranny pan have a drain plug?

ok

lights problem:

there's a big connector going through the firewall at the lower most driver's side corner. disassemble it, clean it and reassemble it.

wasn't even considering the 2.8 it SHOULD be a 904 torqueflite

cleaned battery connections and replaced the block firewall ground and still no go. HOw do you remoce the big clips that hold the bulkhead connectors for the fuse block? Or can I unscrew the fuse block from the inside?

Hbt

Just pulledapart the fuse block. The old grease in there was very gummy. What do i use to dissolve it? I replaced my batt cables and no go.

Anyone got any other ideas?

hbt

hbtmcg said:
Also the tranny pan has 13 bolts and is square shaped with one corned gently rounded.

hbt
Bingo. I was asking this last thread.
TH200, or TH250.

Should have METRIC stamped in the pan....But could not.

Pan look like this?
TCC_2.jpg

TCC_9.jpg

OR, pick it from this Pic..
transpan.gif

From here...All the Chevy Trans info you ever needed.
http://www.nastyz28.com/transid.html
TH 200, and 250 look just like a TH350.

I am still having the electrical issue:

I've taken apart the fuse block and cleaned all connections. But before I did that I took a volt reading at the fuse block for the items that werent' working. The Blower/Windsheild wiper/Radio/turn signal circuits have no electricity flowing through them at the fuse block.

History: These items crapped out on me after i had driven the car from work to the walmart in the rain. When I returned from inside the walmart non of the items worked. Doh! and driving in a drizzle with no wipers sin't any fun.

any help will be appreciated.

Hbt

Not a TH200 if it has a bolt on extension housing.

The TH250 and TH350 are basically the same tranny, the 250 has one less clutch pack and the addition of a band and the external adjustment screw for the band. Nothing interchangable with TH200.

4 l's in the shape of a square is usually where a magnet goes inside the pan.

Sounds like you may have the Chrysler tranny after all, not something from GM. May be worth your while to stop by a Tranny shop and have them ID it for you.

Back