• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery terminals

92AKXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and read, but there doesn't seem to be any clear consensus. (Maybe that's the answer I'm looking for.)

What's the best battery terminal and connection type?

Military (lead) and marine style (brass) with ringed lugs seem to be simple and straight forward, but plated cast-copper ends have their fans, too (attaching additional wires/cables?). Then there are the bling terminals that the audiophiles use. What's your opinion?

I know that whatever I do will be better than stock, and I'm pretty sure I'll use marine-grade wire/cable (tinned, fine-strand copper) with Ox-guarded, crimped, adhesive shrink-tubed ends. Probably 1 or 1/0 and 4 guage.

This is for a '92, 4.0, AX-15, with a red top Optima, no winch or amp, but probably some additional lights in the future.

Thanks!

This would probably make a good poll, but that bumper one won't die, so I hesitate to do it.

I run the lead military ones with quick disconnect clamps and recently partially melted one whilst winching. Never had an issue with them before though.

When I installed them:

cables6.jpg

For what it's worth;
When I upgraded my alternator, starter and battery leads to welding cable I got everything at interstate battery. They had the full gamut of cable types and sizes as well as connection types to choose from. The old guy that has been there forever steered me toward the crimped on lead ends over the millitary type, even though I was intending to bolt on extra leads for auxillary items. His advice was based on having one less area to corrode or connection to loosen.

True or not, I took his advice.

TIM

Bling blows.

The cast Brass ones that I used (Deka marine-grade) with the post do everything I need them to do. I use 1-gage battery cables, and I make them for sale as well. The ends are packed and sealed against corrosion. Also, if you have an Optima, terminal corrosion essentially ceases to be a problem (since it doesn't outgas as badly as liquid electrolyte.)

If you only want to have single cables at the battery, check out Gall's Public Safety (www.galls.com) where you can get brass "distribution posts." Get them in 5/16" or 3/8" post (the post is about an inch and a half tall) and use that for secondary power/ground distribution.

I like the marine clamps since it's easier to fully DX the battery in a hurry than it is with the regular crimped lead clamps, and they're easier to keep clean. They also conduct better, and seem to resist acid corrosion better than the lead (lead terminals get melted down and cast into bullets around here.)

Let me know if you'd like information on my cables - [email protected]

5-90

Back