• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning for 2003

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
It's not to early to start thinking about possible trail runs (and other types of events) in the NAC for next year. The only official event we held in New England this year was not well attended (Earle's Mohawk Trail ride). A year ago, when the subject came up at the BBQ in Connecticut there seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm for a trail ride in maine this Fall, but after Bob, Earle and I put a fair amount of initial leg work into planning one -- there was a deafening lack of response.

Let's remember that the NAC covers basically from the Mason-Dixon line all the way through Maine, to and including the Maritime Provinces of Canada. Most folks from northern New England and Canada can't make it to events in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and points south. For someone from mid-Maine, even Connecticut is an all-day drive.

I'd like to get some preliminary idea of who's up for what next year -- and when. There's Paine Hill, near the Connecticut/Massachusetts border. It's a nice one-day area, and when we last ran it there appeared to be additional trails we did not get to explore. Earle is constantly finding new trails in Massachusetts, in the Adams/Mohawk Trail region. There are LOTS of trails in Maine, ranging from timber roads to very hard-core trails -- but except for Bob Salemi in his hunting expeditions, nobody in NAXJA-NAC has explored any of them.

Do we want another Paine Hill run?

Do we want Earle to host another Mohawk Trail event?

Do we want an event in Maine?

Does anyone know of any decent trails in Vermont or New Hampshire?

Do we want another New England BBQ?

For any/all of the above: WHEN??

Thanks.

Hey, you're not the only one with nothing else better to do at 0130.

But, at least I have an excuse (still depressed after my aborted try at Moab) - what's yours? :)

Sorry if I was one of the ones that stiffed you this fall - BUT - up until 2 days ago I was headed West for a couple of weeks.

Personally, I'm still up for Northern New England (Maine - New Hampshire - Vermont ), the Adirondacks, or even Quebec. Anytime we can get enough together. A BBQ - sure - but probably not anymore this year.

I'd like to try an get some more of our Canadian brethren involved - especially now that the "new" SE Chapter has restarted the Civil War at the Potomac.

BTW Mr Harwood Sir - I'm deeply hurt :( that you felt you had to look 12,000 miles for a good example of a lightly modified, highly capable XJ (vis a vis your newsletter article).

But, it still won't stop me from coming to the Nutmeg State.

Mike in NJ (the latest enemy of free range riding)

Don't take it personally, Mr. G. Your Red is a good example, Craig Houghtaling's "Swiss Army Jeep" is a good example, but GoJeep's is the closest to what I was trying to describe. In its latest incarnation, Red is treading awfully close to the Dark Side, right on the verge of trading total versatility for enhanced off-road capability.

You'll note that iI didn't even presume to use my own equipment for my example. Despite the eye-opening performance Old faithful turned in at the spring Mohawk Trail event, it's so close to stock that I didn't feel it illustrated the point.

Given enough lead time, we should be able to make it. I will have some vacation time by then so it shouldn't be a problem.. Kepp us posted, Bob

sure!

I'm up for it! Btw, I have to get you axle to ya... did you get the money I snail-mailed you? As for the rides.. give me a week in advance and I will make it!! I would like to run up to Quebec... would be a cool trip.Hell, I drove to VA for the GWNF, and that was a hell of a time.
~Joe~

Ummm, Bob -- Joe

As someone once said, 'What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Bob: Given enough notice, you can make WHAT? And WHERE? I'm trying to get a sense of where people are interested in going, and when they can go. I listed some possible ideas, and would welcome other suggestions. What floats your boat?

Joe: Same question for you. You're up for ... WHAT? What do you want to do, and when are some good times to do it?

What I DON'T want to do is have Bob, Earle, or anyone else put a lot of effort into coordinating a trail ride that nobody -- or almost nobody -- shows up for. If we're going to venture into places where we havn't run before, it means someone, maybe a couple or three someones, has to do a fair amount of scouting and legwork to make it happen. It's not fair to let someone put out that effort and then have everyone poop out and say "Maybe next year." We can use the winter for planning and brainstorming, but it would help to know who's willing to travel how far to see some new terrain, and who from the frozen north might join in if we bring a trail ride to their doorstep.

well

I'll definately make a run to Quebec... I love canada... but yea, I would gladly help in scouting trails and whatnot.. Just let me know!
~Joe~

OOPS!!!

Sorry forgot to add the important stuff.. We are up for a ride and/or a BBQ anywhere along the Eastern seaboard.. Would love to see and explore some of Maine!! Let us know, Bob

That's three that look good for Maine -- four counting me. Anyone else interested? There's not much wheeling along the coast, so we're talking inland, but there's nothing that says we can't do some coastal exploring before and/or after wheeling farther north.

Any preferences for when? Is a 3-day weekend enough time, considering how far Maine is from anywhere, or should we make it a week-long event? (For reference, the Maine border at New Hampshire is exactly 200 miles from my place near New Haven. Portland is another 60 miles up the Maine Turnpike, and any wheeling will be probably at least another hour beyond Portland.)

Besides "when", I guess it would also depend on "where". I keep forgetting how big Maine is. You mention that there might be places to drive within an hour of Portland - what little I know of Maine - that would surprise me a bit. Unless you're talking about Eastern Maine, along the New Hampshire border (White Mountains area). The wilderness area of Northern Maine - Baxter State Park, Allagash River region is another 250 miles or so beyond Portland.

I have been around Augusta - Waterville. Lot of lakes, but it seemed basically tame - sort of a flat Vermont. And Mt. Desert Island - but that's not wheeling territory.

Realistically, although I'm willing to take a 600 mile jaunt anyplace interesting to go play - we're probably talking about an extended weekend for anyone beyond Connecticut - Thursday to Sunday - main activities on Fri/Sat.). This is probably a summer thing - late spring would be black fly season and most likely overlap with NACFest '03.

Maybe the Adirondacks would be a more practical choice? But, other than passing through to Vermont on the Northway - that's a blank to me.

Mike in NJ

Back