• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

if you had a choice...

hman333

NAXJA Forum User
ok there is a junkyard near where i live where all axles are a straight $150, if you had the choice would you get a xj44 or would you take the 8.8?

if the 8.8" had 31-splines and discs, i'd go with the 8.8", simply because it's already got discs. Most aftermarket disc conversion kits for the D44 are more expensive than buying a complete salvage yard 8.8".

It's $165 actually (just looked it up) and it comes with 2 weld on anti-wrap style spring mounts for the housing, 4 U-bolts, 2 U-bolt plates, 2 weld on shock mounts.

You can reuse your stock shock mounts, just cut them off your current axle and adapt them to the 8.8". U-bolts will run you about $32'ish for a complete set, and you're looking at about the same for a pair of spring perches. All that's left would be to buy or fab some u-bolt plates. And from what I've seen, you should be able to adapt your stock e-brake cables using some cable clamps from Lowes/HomeDepot.

Oh yeah, and get an adapter to mate your DS to the flange on the 8.8". Those run about $40 (from MORE).

edit: the only real reason I'd do the 44 over the 8.8" is if you just had no reasonable way to have the brackets welded on to do the 8.8".

hman333 said:
ok there is a junkyard near where i live where all axles are a straight $150, if you had the choice would you get a xj44 or would you take the 8.8?

Both. Sell the XJ D44 for about $400 and use the profit to pay for the more kit, adapter, and fab work on the 8.8.
But I would definatelly run the 8.8

hman333 said:
what is the most enexpensive way to do the bracketry on the 8.8, i know the M.O.R.E kit is like 150 from them.

I bought leaf perches beefier than MORE's for $20 from Great Lake Offroad...

Custom U-bolts I can buy locally for $6-$8 each...

You can make your own shock mounts and leaf plates...

I got lucky and scored a pair of Cabo Engineering leaf plates/bumpstops :D

a flange adaptor at a pick and pull runs $5-$15... (ford made them in both 1310 and 1330 sizes, so look carefully)

DSCF0017.jpg

hman333 said:
what is the most enexpensive way to do the bracketry on the 8.8, i know the M.O.R.E kit is like 150 from them.
definately get both! but build the 8.8. you could easily sell the 44 for more $ then you would pay for building the whole 8.8. so it's like a free axle! if you're lookin' for 4.10's with those discs, some 8.8's have them. the 20 yr old d44 would however need a total "restoration". so you will not have to hunt down all the seals and drum parts; let someone else do that. on the 8.8, you can cut off the old spring brackets and reuse them or make your own. the same for the shock brackets, you can take them off of your old axle. the leaf brackets need to be spaced/angled just right, but the shock brackets can be off 1/4" or so, just work them around the brake lines, ubolts, etc.
also, the driveshaft off some 8.8 expeditions has the right adapter flange. just take a new ujoint (you're gonna need one anyway) with you to be sure. it's kinda funny seeing that huge driveshaft with that little ujoint. :D

Sounds like you've made your descision on the 8.8, you'll like it. My mounts were made from 2.5x2.5 square steel tube(?). Probably another name, not enough coffee yet to remember. Radius was cut into the first 1.5 inches and welded on with 3* tilt. Made for an easy extra inch of lift in the rear. Only thing they did that I'll never figure out was they put the shock mounts back in the original position instead of raising them for clearance. What I'm trying to say I guess is that I'm not sure spending the money on the M.O.R.E. kit is worth it. You could do the whole thing yourself and use that money for a locker. Just my thoughts in the early am. If I get a chance this morning I'll snap a pic and post it to show the mounts and the e-brake cable hook-up.

VegasAnthony said:
must be nice
my yards are asking $600 for XJ d44

and $300 for a 8.8

so my choice is clear

you think thats bad....an ALL Jeep yard around here wants 1200 for D44 and 800 for a 29spline 8.25.....its insane oh yea, its was also 800 for an 8.8 at another yard...

87CherokeeChief said:
you think thats bad....an ALL Jeep yard around here wants 1200 for D44 and 800 for a 29spline 8.25.....its insane oh yea, its was also 800 for an 8.8 at another yard...
Unreal. Your only looking at $250 for an 8.8 here but I can't find a 44 anywhere.

oh yeah, if you need xtra clearence for big tires, you can also tweak it by making your spring mount brackets a little longer(1" lift), or using cheap wheel spacers (track width) off ebay or something.

Back