• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN Location Need Help Urgently

SV1CEC

NAXJA Forum User
Folks,

I have a 1984 XJ, and I have to pass the three-year inspection here. I talked with a friend who works in the inspection center, and he told me that I need to find the location where the VIN is inscribed on the truck.

I have no idea where that is. I checked with the local DC, but they also have no idea where it might be in such an old truck (DC came to Greece in 1992). At more recent trucks, they told me that it is usually found on the right chassis bar, right under the passenger's seat area. I checked and mine is covered with tar there (the previous owner has probably sprayed that on) and no numbers shown.

Does anyone have any idea where the VIN can be located on my truck?

Rgds and many thanks

Geez John, I've only found mine on the plate in the engine compartment and on the plate at the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side. Maybe an e-mail to Jeep would get you the info. I know AJ's 84 is undercoated so I couldn't go snooping there for you and I gave my other 84 away. Hope someone comes up with something.

Here's an interesting thing I just found on the web.

"Every vehicle in the United States is required to have a VIN on the dash, visible from outside the vehicle on driver's side bottom corner of the windshield. Most vehicles also have the VIN in at least one other place, preferably stamped into the frame. For the frame-challenged (uni-body) it may be stamped or tagged into a hard to find spot on the body."

Last edited:
Sorry I can´t answer your question, but I also have an export model. And the normal USA vin on top of the dash, drivers side, wasn't enough for the germans. So I have a VIN stamped in the right front top cross brace, near the battery. Stamped on the firewall, then again with a VIN tag (riveted) on the firewall and a VIN tag (riveted) inside the driverside "B" pillar. Seems most every country has different VIN requirements.
On my Chev. I had to take it to a licsensed body shop and have a new VIN stamped into the firewall, they had a special certification stamp, that they added to the end of the VIN stamp and the certification paperwork to go with it. Bodyshops often change pieces with VIN´s on them, so most have the ability to certify the vehicle and add a VIN.

grizzley said:
Hope someone comes up with something.

LoL, that makes two of us, if I do not find it, I'll have to go through hell to get the truck thru the inspection.

Thanks anyway.

It should be in two places, at least. Dashboard, lower driver's side corner. Look from the outside of the vehicle through the windshield. Right where the dashboard cover pad joins the windscreen there is a small cut-out, about 1/2" high and perhaps 2" long. The VIN is stamped into a black metal plate in that recess.

Under the hood, look on the upper cross brace in front of the radiator. (I think that's where it is on an '84, Grizzley perhaps can confirm by looking at the AJ-mobile). There should be a rectangular metal plate pop riveted to the flat surface of the cross brace. This plate will have a few codes such as paint code, and will also have the VIN number.

Note: In some years the under-hood plate is not on the radiator cross-brace. If not there, look on the firewall in front of the driver, and/or on the driver's side inner fender.

My dear Mentor, those two locations are well-known, but unfortunatelly, they are not the ones I am looking for. Those, according to the local agency, are removable parts, so we need to find the area, where the VIN is engraved on the truck.

I went and talked with an old Jeep mechanic today, and he gave me a couple of more locations: on the chassis bars, under the passenger's seat, or under the passenger's fender, on the chassis again. The thing is that all these areas are covered with old underbody tar or whatever, and I need to scrab that to see if it is there.

So, the search for the "Answer" continues!

Somebody told me it was stamped on the frame rail down by the power steering pump. I've welded reinforcement plates over that whole area, so I can't look. Also, I don't think it is the whole VIN number, only a portion of it.

I'm online with Chrysler right now checking this. For some reason they want the last 8 digits of the VIN before they will tell me.

Here is the skinny. The locations of those VIN's are confidential and they will not give them out. But I have a work around. If you have the Greek authorities call the Colorado State Patrol at 1-303-239-4545 and hit selection 3, they will be put in touch with the people who know, and they will divulge that information to them. The info is only given out to law enforcement authorities or the like. I will see if I can find the location on a junker down the street just incase.

Good luck

Back