• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint Boot Shuffle ticking me off

rstarch345

NAXJA Forum User
My first time changing solid axle ball joints. I got them out OK and I can press them in OK. But the gall darned, skizzle &^%$@(&^ boot keeps popping out when I seat the joint. I've removed/installed the joint and boot 3 times and am about ready to use the axle as a bump stop for a tank.

Anybody have any good suggestions for keeping these sleezy critters in place?

It's the upper boot and unlike the lower which has a groove to accept a hooked boot, the top joint is tapered with no groove. The instructions (TRW Mfg) state to install the boot on the joint then press in. It appears that the boot needs to be wedged between the socket and the joint. The old joint (which also was a TRW) is identical and when I removed the the joint I didn't look at the boot as it didn't appear to be an issue.

I just did mine, but used a spicer ball joint, just (is a four letter word) pressed the joint in the top, put the boot on and slide the tappered shaft into the knuckle. The space between the knuckle and where the taper stopped me when tightening, just compressed the boot slightly. Kind of like a tie rod end set up.
The bottom boot was almost flat, the top was a cup.

Back