• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY $30.50 open radiator conversion

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to finish up theMJ this week and decided to go from closed to open system, the radiator was just replaced before starting the conversion with a HD 3 pass clossed loop radiator do rather that get a new one I figured out how to do the conversion using the closed loop rad.

I bought the Moroso radiator hose filler unit with 16 lb cap off ebay for 19.00 shipped it has 1 1/4" inlet and outlet

picture.JPG

I then went to teh local salvage yard an found the perfect little coolant recovery bottle out of a 91 toyota corolla. 1.50 inclucing the hoses and made a bracket and reused the old tiedown from the closed loop bottle.

picture.JPG

then bought a 91 xj heater valve and hoses from the yard for 10.00

picture.JPG

worked out pretty slick and should function perfectly retail on the parts would run around 65.00 still a very cheap conversion

I've done this on all three of mine; however, I put the overflow bottle in the OEM location because I have the OEM air box. One unexpected advantage is that the radiator tank isn't stressed every time you remove the radiator cap.

PaulJ said:
I've done this on all three of mine; however, I put the overflow bottle in the OEM location because I have the OEM air box. One unexpected advantage is that the radiator tank isn't stressed every time you remove the radiator cap.

the shelf for the old bttlw is holding my coil and other electrical stuff that had to move when I did the shock loops and the coilovers

did the same thing on my 89, but I used a ZJ bottle that fits in the space between the coil and the dist, mounted with a simple bracket.

XJEEPER said:
did the same thing on my 89, but I used a ZJ bottle that fits in the space between the coil and the dist, mounted with a simple bracket.

I dont have that space there it a coilover thee shock hoop si inthe way LOL

Back