• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hot on the floor tunnel

wilson

NAXJA Forum User
Just want to know. I have 92 4.0 it gets hot on the trans. floor tunnel. plus I get hot air in the floor when everything is off plus when the vent is on I'm possitive.( I think ). there is cold air in the winter. I first thing is that Im going to check the vent when I get the time.( I have 10 month old girl ). just want to find out if im yhe only one with the problem and the fixes to fix the problem. thank you for the time
Bryan
p.s. just want to say hot hot air.

the trans gets very hot, and the exhaust is routed pretty close to there also.... you can try insulating the tunnel more, or else youre stuck with hot feet for the rear passengers.... as far as air flow, im not positive.... my outlook on that is - "its a jeep, it just works out better to drain all the mud and water out if theres holes and gaps "

Standard or auto? I have a 5-speed and the tunnel got hot enough that I was uncomfortable resting my right leg against it. Also had a lot of hot air coming out from under the center console, especially near the front, would blow cold during the winter. While replacing the shifter boot I noticed that there is another boot that seals the tunnel to the shifter and it was torn up. Need to find a good one somewhere to replace it. When the outer boot was replaced and not leaking hot air, it was more noticeable coming out from underneath and through the emergency brake slot. Threw in a 1 inch rear hood lift to help with cooling offroad because I didn't have time to put my louvers in. Trip to PA and back had no problems with the tunnel being too hot and the air leaking in didn't seem that hot either. If you have an auto then you may have a different gremlin to chase.

I've noticed that the tunnel on my xj(90 4.0 5spd) gets hot enough for me to not rest my leg or arm on it while on the freeway, I've also noticed that the bottom of the shifter(right where the boot ends) gets hot too.

Make sure the little roller thingy under the steering wheel is pointed up and see if that helps. By anychance is the air coming from the vents alongside the hump under the dash or from somewhere else?

I have an '88 5-speed, same as Grizzley, and my center console also gets very hot on longer drives. Interesting that Grizzley mentioned that inner boot. I knew there was one, and I suspect that mine has bought the farm but I haven't gotten around to checking it out.

thanks. it is a 5-speed. im going to my mother inlaws this weekend i think I will check it there.
Yes it is getting hot air bloeing in down by the gas peddle plus hot air from the E-brake lever. plus down on the plastic all over the shifter.
The air is hotter than the Jeep gets in -13 F
Thank again
bryan

wilson said:
thanks. it is a 5-speed. im going to my mother inlaws this weekend i think I will check it there.
Yes it is getting hot air bloeing in down by the gas peddle plus hot air from the E-brake lever. plus down on the plastic all over the shifter.
The air is hotter than the Jeep gets in -13 F
Thank again
bryan

BINGO! I'll bet if you can find a good inner boot it'll stop that. If you find a source post it for the rest of us please. :D

The part number for the inner boot on 88's is 5300 2864. Found one within 50 miles but the price is a little high, $41.60. Guess I'll go yard poking this afternoon and see if I can find a good one.

Back