• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horrible front wheel "hop"

live24wheel

NAXJA Forum User
If im driving down the road any faster than 50 or 55 and hit a bump just right the whole front end starts to hop violently, if i do anywhere around 70 pretty much any bump will start it, if I hit the brakes it only gets worst so I have to coast all the way down to about 40 to 45 before it goes away, I have rockkrawler 4.5 springs that settled to about 5.25, there lower arms at I think 16.5" if I remember right and MX-6 shocks adjusted about medium. the tires are 32" BFG All-terrains. What can be the culprit of this?

It could be a multitude of things. Check your tie rod ends, drag link joints, trac bar axle mount *the actual bolt to be specific*, get an alignment, change out your rotors, since the ones you have seemed to be warped, check to see if your steering stabilizer shock is leaking any oil, and if it is, you should replace that as well. I think that's the majority of things you have to check to keep it from going into a death wobble.

live24wheel said:
If im driving down the road any faster than 50 or 55 and hit a bump just right the whole front end starts to hop violently, if i do anywhere around 70 pretty much any bump will start it, if I hit the brakes it only gets worst so I have to coast all the way down to about 40 to 45 before it goes away, I have rockkrawler 4.5 springs that settled to about 5.25, there lower arms at I think 16.5" if I remember right and MX-6 shocks adjusted about medium. the tires are 32" BFG All-terrains. What can be the culprit of this?

welcome to the wonderful world of death wobble

things to check:

all steering parts tight and in good shape

toe in set to 0*

trackbar tight and in good condition

upper control arm bushings in good shape

These are the most common reasons

search Death wobble and you will find a multitude

Now im confused!!! lol. I thought death wobble was kind of side to side issue because i was in buddys cherokee that had a problem with that. I even had a problem with that before putting my new arms on. this is litterally up and down like the tire is jumping off the ground???

live24wheel said:
Now im confused!!! lol. I thought death wobble was kind of side to side issue because i was in buddys cherokee that had a problem with that. I even had a problem with that before putting my new arms on. this is litterally up and down like the tire is jumping off the ground???[/QUOTE

The way you describe the wai in which it starts and able to make it quit is exactly they way mt DW have reacted in the past.

maybe you have damaged the front shocks and they are no longer working? or maybe not connected? IVe had a good jar rip the stock lower shhock bolts off teh rig....follow someone in another rig and you go to a place that you know will set it off and have them watch your front and see what the motion is..

That is why there are a multiple of things that can cause DEATH WOBBLE.

Allignment, stabilizer, tie rod ends and track bar will cause the side to side stuff.

The shocks and out of ballance TARS the up and down variety.

The Bushings, unit bearings and ball joints go both ways ;)

The warped discs should be able to be felt in your foot when aplying the brakes.

I have also had this on a couple different Jeeps. My TJ had issues with a ball joint and the lower track bar bushing. My MJ had many issues, track bar, all bushings, shocks, stabilizer and allignment!!!

Be diligent and look close, maybe get a helper and you will find it!!! Its a PITA, I know but you will find it!!!

Good luck,
CW

Well the shocks haveonly been on there about 2 weeks and they are fine and lol connected, I know the rotor is warped but I dont think that is causing it cause its just when Im driving... I know its up and down for sure because when I did it I stuck my head out and whatched the tire jump up and down. The only cool thinkg is people get out of my way now.... gasp

Check where the top bolt on the steering stabilizer is. My bolt/nut lost threads from wear and I had this same problem over bumps at speed. There should be a pin holding the nut/bolt in place. You can get the nuts in the "HELP" section if yours has a problem.

live24wheel said:
Well the shocks haveonly been on there about 2 weeks and they are fine and lol connected, I know the rotor is warped but I dont think that is causing it cause its just when Im driving... I know its up and down for sure because when I did it I stuck my head out and whatched the tire jump up and down. The only cool thinkg is people get out of my way now.... gasp

well if tis up and down then our shocks are not working.........try toset them to the stiffest setting and try that...wheel bounce like that is usually caused by poor shocks/spring combo. you have not control over it now.

I own an 85 wagoneer with the rough country 3inch lift with the heckethorn 8000 shock absorbers. Ever since I have put this lift ina year ago I have had the same problem in the front with the bouncing up and down. All my steering components are tight and bushings everywhere are in alright condition. The only thing in the front that needs to be corrected is centering my front axle after installing the lift. At 45-55mph it gives me a small wobble but not bad and goes away after 55. Going 65 or faster down the highway I get a two or three second wobble in the front when I hit a big hole and on small bumps it is not there. I know that rough country lifts are not the greatest but why would I get this problem when the lift was installed properly except for the front axle centering? My shocks are not worn out or anything like that they still work good. I do not have my sway bar on in the front either but this problem was there before removing it and has not gotten worse from removing it either. My tire pressure is always at 38lbs. I would like to get rid of this problem so my wife feels safe to drive it again. Thanks.

Kim.

When I was looking for the problems with my MJ, I too discounted the front shocks as good because the guy I bought the truck from had just replaced them with new ones in January.

Guess what.....he did put them on in January alright. But the DW was still present and took its toll n the shocks because they where cheapies and the drivers side had a dead spot in it.
I replaced all bad parts (sans the shocks), went in for an allignment and THEN found the shock problem. Once I changed them out the wobbles are gone!!!

I guess what I am saying, is do not discount anything, check it all!!!

What about tire balance? Have you had them rebalanced by anotyher shop??

Just a thought...

CW

38#? that might be why. it will make them rock hard and not have much give. try dropping them to 31 or so and see if that helps

The tires are 31" 10.5 BFG radial AT's. They are rated to be at 48lbs but that is just to much. I ran them at 28lbs and the problem was worse. I run them at that pressure because the truck just feels and drives better there. I don't air down below 20lbs on the trail to try to prevent sidewall puncture on rocks. When I first installed the lift I had P205 goodyear all seasons on and there was no wobble. The night before we left for Labor day weekend we installed the BFG's and I drove it home 30 miles and there was no wobble. I loaded the jeep with about 600lbs of gear and left for my 75 mile drive to the Pipeline. I had no problems driving it there or wheeling. When I drove it home four days later there was still no problem. When I got home I unloaded the gear and went to the store with the jeep to do some mall cruising.:) On the way there is when the problem was noticeable. That is when I gave it a good power wash and checked everything. Maybe a tire got off balance somehow I don't know how. My shocks seem to be in good shape but I will be running them until I get a long arm kit so I won't be able to take them off to put other shocks on to see if my shocks were the problem. I can tollerate the wobble until I get my new kit.

Kim.

the MX6 shocks are notroious for break down, I took a set off a friends rig who was having like problems and put on a set of rancho 3000's no more problems, I dotn care if the shocks are brand new never been off road, they can still be bad

espceially the adjustable multi valve ones

When my lift was first installed I had BAD DW at any speed over 45. The alignment was dead on and the tires were balanced, but I noticed when I went to check the PSI (which I keep at 28 for my 245 75 R16's) that my tires had gotten mixed up and I was running the more worn pair on opposite corners. It amazed me how much a small difference in tire size can effect it. Fixed them and got rid of the DW. I still have a slight shimmy from 45-55 MPH, but for the most part I got lucky and it was a simple fix.

Back