• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forged Two Piece Wheels

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Alright, here’s the deal; this is the fourth time I’ve tried to post this. If it gets lost again I’m going to run wooden wagon wheels with steel tires on my rig, sell the computer and get a telegraph!

I’ve been shopping for tires and wheels for some time now, done a lot of Googling and searching here @ NAXJA. What I have (back) ordered for tires is Toyo M/T, 13.5x33x15s. These measure out at a true 33” tall and have a section of 13.9”. Ideally I was thinking that a 9” rim would be the ticket but the only 15”diameter wheel I’ve been able to turn up are some cheap cast wheels at Sears of all places. An 8” would be just a bit too narrow, especially with the tire section being almost 14”.

Currently I’m running 10.5x31” BFG’s on 7” rims, the tire being 3” wider that the rim. I’ve not had any trouble keeping the bead with the current set up. So I figure that a 10” rim would give me nearly the same tendency to keep the bead seated. That is of course the taller sidewall of the 33” tire would change the dynamics to the contrary. Feel free to jump in here and correct me anytime.

Initially I was looking to put the new shoes on black rock crawlers or the like, except that I really don’t like the look of them but I’m a bit of a tight a$$. The only other option for what I was willing to spend would have been a cast wheel. The problem would later be what to do when (not if) I knocked a chunk out of them. Then I stumbled across some two piece forged wheels from centerline. I understand that the one piece forged wheel is of superior quality to cast and tend to bend as opposed to blow out chunks. Problem is that I’ve not been able to turn up much information regarding the two piece design except that typically there are more options as far as back spacing goes.

The link below is for a two piece forged 15x10 wheels for $79.00 each. At this price I could send them off to be made into bead locks with out being in too much of a hole. But before I go and do something stupid (again) I thought I’d ask if anybody has had any experience with this type of wheel or see a problem with my logic.

Centerline Arrow

TIA,

TIM

Centerline has an excellent rep for making VERY good wheels. I'd jump on this deal, $79 ea sounds like someone screwed up, I'd bet they are actually $179 ea. A similar wheel from Weld, rotary forged, two piece, averages over $250. I'm trying to find if they available in 8'' to buy some for myself!

Well, I went ahead and ordered five of these. I guess I'll find out anyway!
@$#&!! tires are still a month out though. :mad:

:laugh3:
TIM

Update:

Wheels got here this morning, the boxes were light.. When I opened up one of them up, my jaw dropped to the floor! The picture on the web site doesn't do the look of these things justice. These things are incredible! Five rims for under $400, Tim is a happy, happy camper. Ooooooooh shiiiiinyyyyyyy...

TIM
:D

OK, I'm done now. I'll let this thread fade away and die.
Happy, happy, happy, happy.....

Bent said:
The picture on the web site doesn't do the look of these things justice. These things are incredible! Five rims for under $400, Tim is a happy, happy camper. Ooooooooh shiiiiinyyyyyyy...

Sooooo, what are you waiting for? Post some pictures that will do them justice so the rest of us can spend some money.:D They are aluminum, right?

GottaBeJeep said:
Sooooo, what are you waiting for? Post some pictures that will do them justice so the rest of us can spend some money.:D They are aluminum, right?

"2-piece, rotary forged, billet aluminum. High-polish finish."

I'll post a pic this afternoon.

Yeah, I read it, I just didn't believe it. That's a pretty good price for Centerlines and like the other guys, I expected a misprint somewhere.

Nope. I did the same thing:

IMG_2143.JPG

but I bought five. The deal is that they are a two peice, welded wheel. When I told them I was putting them on 33" tires, they said it voided the warranty. (But they were nice about it.) I told them I didn't care. The deal is that with that tall a combination, the weld might weaken from turns with lng of a "moment arm" lever.

They do get "chunked" from hitting rocks. I'm missing a few chips on the lips.

But for the price, if I have to replace them in 3-5 years, so be it.

bburge

bburge said:
But for the price, if I have to replace them in 3-5 years, so be it.
bburge

I bought five as well, couldn't resist. I'm prett sure they'll at least take what my OEM cast wheels have. I've only broke one in four years, I saw that rock too; should have slowed down a bit. :doh:

Good looking wheels Bill, the current ones are just a bit different.
OplCommandServlet

OplCommandServlet

Now I really got to get my butt in gear with the axles. Damn I'm slow.

TIM

those are very nice wheels. were they for around the same price? if so that is a steal. i'll stick to my black rusty out of round wheels though, i hear they add ten horsepower

Yup, same price. I even got a break by shipping them to my work/business address. With tax and shipping, under $100 a wheel.

The cool thing was that since they are a two piece wheel, the weld them (in some of the models, maybe all) AFTER you order them. I was able to do a custom backspacing for no extra cost or time. I think I went with 4 inches.

They should take a much abuse (or more) than a factory AL wheel, but I was used to steel wheels, so the first "chunk" I lost was a bit of a shock.

bburge

GottaBeJeep said:
'Bout freekin time the tires get here! Anyway, here's a quick pre-Sawzall shot.
DSC01607.jpg

DSC01600.jpg

Last edited:
Bent said:
Now I really got to get my butt in gear with the axles. Damn I'm slow.

TIM

hope you are keeping 5 on 4.5 with the nex axles... otherwise you'll have to sell thoes rims to me!

Bent said:
'Bout freekin time the tires get here! Anyway, here's a quick pre-Sawzall shot.
DSC01607.jpg

DSC01600.jpg

Are the 9" in yet?

hey tim. they look great! looks like you need to trim more fender in the front though! catch ya on the trail soon!

Back