• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Electrical Question

ZombiE

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Hoping to get some answers about a small A/C electrical problem I have had on and off over the years, but getting worse.
I don't know squat about the A/C system in anything. Now on to the problem, when I am driving around with my A/C on sometimes the air just gets warm coming out of the vents. I can cycle the A/C control knob to off or over to the vent position, then back and it gets cold again. So after being here a year or so on these forums I have picked up quit a bit of understanding, but always seemed to skip over the A/C stuff. I’ve never had a problem with it in 10 years. I am assuming that it might be the compressor failing to cycle back on after it cycles off. Could it be that or possibly the relay that controls that? Or maybe low on R134? I'm hoping to get some responses on what to check for. I've worked on my own cars for over 20 years but never touched the A/C stuff.

Thanks for any input.

Alex

95 Cherokee Sport 4.0L etc etc

sounds like it could be low in charge if the compressor stays off long enough to bring the low pressure up enough to activete the pressure switch again.

Easy way to find out is to jump the low preswure switch with a paperclip and let it run, it should run and get cold (on max cool) and stay there usually.

If that is not it you could have an electrical problem in the climate control panel or something like that.

Hope I helped some.

JC95

Thanks JC95,

I did that and the air stayed cold. But like I said it happens rarely. I would think that if I was low on r-134 that would happen all the time? It seems to happen when it is hot outside, like in the afternoon driving home from work. In the morning it has never happened. I doubt it's an electrical problem in the panel, only wires going there are the ones for the blower. Well there are a couple others. It just seems like the clutch on the compressor doesn't cycle back on sometimes. I hate intermittent problems. It just need it to break all the way so I know what to fix, lol.

Thanks,

Alex

Back